• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About Thatch

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Brunswick, Ohio
  • Interests
    Golf, Sci Fi novels craft malt and craft spirits
  1. Hi Ralphie513, Why do you need to weigh spirits? To be legal for trade the scale has to be NTEP, National Type Evaluation Program. Since spirits are not sold by weight, who is telling you that you need a legal for trade scale? You can find a lot of scales on ebay and Amazon by searching on "NTEP scale". You can qualify it further by either size 24x24 or weight 1000 lb.
  2. Nice story Glen. But I knew you were either from the future or puling our leg when you said there were over a billion people in North American. It have to do with the loonie vs dollar exchange rate I suppose Thanks for taking the time to write it.
  3. Thanks to Mike and Paul, Paul, If you wish, I'll contact you via email since my needs are pretty unique. You should have an email from me in your info box. How many tons/btu/Kw is the unit pictured? What is the length and width? Is is made to go outside? You can answer here or via email. I also need to know the price.
  4. I asked a similar question of Paul Hall, Affordable Distilling, his answer is below. Some background first though. We get our water from Lake Erie and it is reasonably expensive. The temperature of the lake in August is 75 degrees. Most of my customers use tap water to chill their fermenters. Exactly how much chilling your fermenters need depends on a number of different variables including, but not limited to the temp of the air in the room, what you are mashing. Even if you are mashing the same grain bill the mash will build up different amounts of heat depending on which yeast that you use. Also it depends on what max temp that you are holding your mash to. Some people don’t let their fermentations get over 80 F while others let them get up to 95F. So there is absolutely no way that I or anyone else will be able to tell you exactly how many btu’s that you are going to use. If you can pump and use lake water that is free or if your tap water is really cheap then I wouldn’t worry about a chiller as long as the water is 72F or lower. If your water is expensive then and over 60f then I might use a chiller. If you think that you will have air temps in the distilling area over 95 f in the summer then I would get a 1 ton chiller. Otherwise a ½ ton will do the job no problem at all. If your tap water is really cheap you will spend a lot more running a chiller than using 70F tap water. Please keep in mind that your fermenters will take very little cooling energy compared to your still condensers and crash cooling corn or rye mashes when using the cook method. If your tap water is cheap you can use 68F or colder tap water for you condenser cooling and it will come out of your condensers hot. If you are smart you will run that free hot condenser water into 2 hot water holding tanks. Use the water from 1 tank for your next mash cook and the hot water in the other tank for cleaning around your distillery. The cooling specs for the 300 gallon stripping still are 55° F water in 150° F out at 3.4 gpm Max. For the 100 gallon still the input condenser water at 55° F and 150 ° F out with a flow of 1.2 gpm max. Many people in the industry use close loop chillers. I would never do that. I think that it is crazy to return 150 F water back to the chiller to cool it down to 55F. That is a huge waste of free hot water and energy. If you just have to have a chiller, I would chill a tank full of water, run it through my condensers and then use the free hot condenser water that comes out of the condensers
  5. Not at this time. Additional information is expected from the Fire Marshall in about a week. I'll post an update when I find out.
  7. Thanks Guys, Very helpful. I'm not sure if I have a problem. I stopped by Defiant (Blue Ridge Mountain Distillery) Friday and the distiller thought I might have a problem. The regs are not very clear, posted below. Subpart D does not seem to be applicable. I guess the best approach is to have an beverage attorney interpret the regs. I'll post the ruling once I get it. Sec. 19.133 Use of distilled spirits plant premises.(a) General. No business or operation shall be conducted on the premises of a distilled spirits plant other than those authorized in accordance with subpart D of this part or those authorized to be carried on or conducted by the notice of registration.(b) Bonded premises. Bonded premises shall be used exclusively for distilled spirits operations. Spirits in packages, cases, or other portable containers on bonded premises shall be stored in a room or building. However, upon application by the proprietor, the regional director (compliance) may approve an alternative method of storage of such spirits if such method is suitable for the protection of the revenue and the effective administration of this part.(c) General premises. General premises are any portion of the distilled spirits plant described in the notice of registration other than bonded premises. General premises may not be used for any of the operations required to be conducted on bonded premises. Business offices and service facilities may be included as a part of general premises.
  8. Hey Blockader, Thanks for replying to my poorly worded post. Let me take another shot. I have a building which houses a malt plant. I have enough space to add a distillery. The malt plant is quite secure and if we put the distillery into the malt plant the spirits would also be secure. So here's my question: What separation will I have to have to make TTB happy? I have visited several distilleries and there is no separation between the distilling equipment the aging and the finished goods. Therefore I assume that the entire DSP is bonded area. If this is the case, then declaring the entire malt house as bonded area would seem to be the best way to satisfy the TTB requirements. I do understand that TTB does not regulate malt. I appreciate any comments
  9. We are building a malt plant and wish to have a distillery in the same building. Can the malt plant be part of the bonded area? We will be making all malt whiskey. I have searched the TTB site and there is nothing that seems to address this issue.