Jump to content
ADI Forums


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Thatch

  1. Fermenter chilling

    We hope to have somewhere between 4 and 7 300 gallon jacketed fermenters that will be temperature controlled with water from a large tank that is chilled from a glycol chiller. I am trying to decide how to chill only the fermenter which needs its temperature brought down. I am thinking of a temperature controlled valve mounted to each fermenter that would either let the water into the jacket if necessary via a T fitting or if closed would bypass this fermenter. Any better ideas? If this is a good idea any suggestions on where to get this type of valve? We will be an all malt shop and we will be fermenting off grain. Thanks!
  2. Fermenter chilling

    Thanks guys, Good stuff. mjduheme - the tank already exist for another purpose. It is 5000 gallons and we keep it at 52 degrees. For the time being it is an easier plumbing job until we get to the point where we need another chiller. I didn't consider using manifolds but that seems to be a great solution.
  3. Hello From Florida

    I'm great. You tour and tastings were wonderful. I hope to do it again this Fall.
  4. Hello From Florida

    Welcome Thomas, I visited you last spring. Great facility, great products.
  5. Barrels and Aging / TTB Rules

    That's great as long as the TTB says they are oak containers. Please let us know when TTB has sanctioned your product
  6. Hi Finished, I wish Dave Dunbar was chiming in on your question. Since he hasn't, I will tell you what he told me. The serial number is YOUR internal serial number such as Still #1. You can file without having equipment but you will at least have to get a practice/recipe still pretty early in the process. Unless you think you completely understand what you need, I would contact Dave and either pay his hourly rate or have him apply for the permit for you. dhdunbar1@gmail.com
  7. Already read content resurfacing

    Nope, pretty much read everyday and no returns of old "Unread Content"
  8. Flavoring

    Cindy Cosmos, Principal Flavorist Bell Flavors & Fragrances 500 Academy Drive Northbrook, Il 60062 cscosmos@bellff.com Phone: 847-291-4422 Sovereign Flavors and Flavor Chem many that are already TTB approved. Mother Murphy's Flavors 615-330-1925 Cheers!
  9. http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/300000-gallons-of-molten-glass-spills-after-rupture-at-zanesville-plant
  10. Electric Stripping Still?

    You might want to talk to Odin at iStill on his products. They seem to meet your needs. Unfortunately his stills jump from 500 to 2000 liters. https://www.istill.eu/ sales@istillmail.com
  11. Fed acquired, can we make without State permit?

    Jessica makes a good point. If you are not aware, hooch is a food in Ohio and you must be inspected and permitted by the Ohio Dept of Ag. This is in addition to Ohio Liquor Control.
  12. Distillery in Malt Plant

    We are building a malt plant and wish to have a distillery in the same building. Can the malt plant be part of the bonded area? We will be making all malt whiskey. I have searched the TTB site and there is nothing that seems to address this issue.
  13. Fed acquired, can we make without State permit?

    Just talked to a Liquor Control attorney today. Left a message and they returned the call within 3 hours. Call 614-644-2360, if the specialist cannot answer your questions ask to be transferred to legal.
  14. Distillery in Malt Plant

    Thanks Bluestar, We will be selling to others. We hope to submit our application soon using one of the folks that contributes here regularly. Once I find out the results, I'll post them.
  15. Distillery in Malt Plant

    Thanks Robert, we're in the process of getting our application together. I'll post something once we find out what we're allowed to do.
  16. spirit scales

    Hi Ralphie513, Why do you need to weigh spirits? To be legal for trade the scale has to be NTEP, National Type Evaluation Program. Since spirits are not sold by weight, who is telling you that you need a legal for trade scale? You can find a lot of scales on ebay and Amazon by searching on "NTEP scale". You can qualify it further by either size 24x24 or weight 1000 lb.
  17. Prepair for the FALLOUT!!!

    Nice story Glen. But I knew you were either from the future or puling our leg when you said there were over a billion people in North American. It have to do with the loonie vs dollar exchange rate I suppose Thanks for taking the time to write it.
  18. 300 Gallon Fermenter - What size glycol chiller?

    Thanks to Mike and Paul, Paul, If you wish, I'll contact you via email since my needs are pretty unique. You should have an email from me in your info box. How many tons/btu/Kw is the unit pictured? What is the length and width? Is is made to go outside? You can answer here or via email. I also need to know the price.
  19. 300 Gallon Fermenter - What size glycol chiller?

    I asked a similar question of Paul Hall, Affordable Distilling, his answer is below. Some background first though. We get our water from Lake Erie and it is reasonably expensive. The temperature of the lake in August is 75 degrees. Most of my customers use tap water to chill their fermenters. Exactly how much chilling your fermenters need depends on a number of different variables including, but not limited to the temp of the air in the room, what you are mashing. Even if you are mashing the same grain bill the mash will build up different amounts of heat depending on which yeast that you use. Also it depends on what max temp that you are holding your mash to. Some people don’t let their fermentations get over 80 F while others let them get up to 95F. So there is absolutely no way that I or anyone else will be able to tell you exactly how many btu’s that you are going to use. If you can pump and use lake water that is free or if your tap water is really cheap then I wouldn’t worry about a chiller as long as the water is 72F or lower. If your water is expensive then and over 60f then I might use a chiller. If you think that you will have air temps in the distilling area over 95 f in the summer then I would get a 1 ton chiller. Otherwise a ½ ton will do the job no problem at all. If your tap water is really cheap you will spend a lot more running a chiller than using 70F tap water. Please keep in mind that your fermenters will take very little cooling energy compared to your still condensers and crash cooling corn or rye mashes when using the cook method. If your tap water is cheap you can use 68F or colder tap water for you condenser cooling and it will come out of your condensers hot. If you are smart you will run that free hot condenser water into 2 hot water holding tanks. Use the water from 1 tank for your next mash cook and the hot water in the other tank for cleaning around your distillery. The cooling specs for the 300 gallon stripping still are 55° F water in 150° F out at 3.4 gpm Max. For the 100 gallon still the input condenser water at 55° F and 150 ° F out with a flow of 1.2 gpm max. Many people in the industry use close loop chillers. I would never do that. I think that it is crazy to return 150 F water back to the chiller to cool it down to 55F. That is a huge waste of free hot water and energy. If you just have to have a chiller, I would chill a tank full of water, run it through my condensers and then use the free hot condenser water that comes out of the condensers
  20. Distillery Explosion

  21. Distillery Explosion

    Not at this time. Additional information is expected from the Fire Marshall in about a week. I'll post an update when I find out.
  22. Distillery in Malt Plant

    Thanks Guys, Very helpful. I'm not sure if I have a problem. I stopped by Defiant (Blue Ridge Mountain Distillery) Friday and the distiller thought I might have a problem. The regs are not very clear, posted below. Subpart D does not seem to be applicable. I guess the best approach is to have an beverage attorney interpret the regs. I'll post the ruling once I get it. Sec. 19.133 Use of distilled spirits plant premises.(a) General. No business or operation shall be conducted on the premises of a distilled spirits plant other than those authorized in accordance with subpart D of this part or those authorized to be carried on or conducted by the notice of registration.(b) Bonded premises. Bonded premises shall be used exclusively for distilled spirits operations. Spirits in packages, cases, or other portable containers on bonded premises shall be stored in a room or building. However, upon application by the proprietor, the regional director (compliance) may approve an alternative method of storage of such spirits if such method is suitable for the protection of the revenue and the effective administration of this part.(c) General premises. General premises are any portion of the distilled spirits plant described in the notice of registration other than bonded premises. General premises may not be used for any of the operations required to be conducted on bonded premises. Business offices and service facilities may be included as a part of general premises.
  23. Distillery in Malt Plant

    Hey Blockader, Thanks for replying to my poorly worded post. Let me take another shot. I have a building which houses a malt plant. I have enough space to add a distillery. The malt plant is quite secure and if we put the distillery into the malt plant the spirits would also be secure. So here's my question: What separation will I have to have to make TTB happy? I have visited several distilleries and there is no separation between the distilling equipment the aging and the finished goods. Therefore I assume that the entire DSP is bonded area. If this is the case, then declaring the entire malt house as bonded area would seem to be the best way to satisfy the TTB requirements. I do understand that TTB does not regulate malt. I appreciate any comments