• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About vsaks

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, California

Recent Profile Visitors

363 profile views
  1. Do you have a source for the Teflon gaskets. I have been looking online but can't find any for manways
  2. Paul, So your recommendation would be silicone over EPDM for stills. I looked for manway gaskets on your website but couldn't find any
  3. Hi, I wanted to know what gaskets people are using for stills and for tanks storing high proof alcohol (Vatting tanks, spirits receivers) ? EPDM or Silicone ? We are planning to use PTFE for TC fittings, but can't find any PTFE for manway gaskets.
  4. California Building Code 2016 : Table 509 requires separate boiler room if you are running a high pressure boiler (above 15 psi) and above 10 HP (about 330,000 BTU/hr). I am assuming you are planning to use a low pressure steam boiler, so you shouldn't need a separate boiler room. Unless your city has more stringent requirements above and beyond the California code. Ask a local boiler company.
  5. Wanted to know if anyone had to anchor barrel racks for seismic reasons. We are looking to get the 7" 4 barrel racks from Country Connection and stack them 4 high to stay under the high pile storage. One architect we are considering told us that these will need to be anchored seismically because they exceed 5' in height and 400 lbs in weight. Has anyone else run into this issue. Since they sit on top of each other, Not sure how they'd be anchored. Maybe strap adjacent racks together ?
  6. Thanks for the pointer. I looked at California Fire Codes 2013, and Chapter 4 is titled : Emergency Planning and Preparedness. So I guess that is the starting point on what needs to happen.
  7. Does any one know of resources for emergency procedures for spill control and fire in a distillery ? Or is this something a FPE can put together ?
  8. You can take a look at MQ-3 sensor which will detect down to 125 PPM. The LEL for alcohol is 3% or 30,000 PPM. Typically you'll start the exhaust fan at 25% of LEL which is 75,000 PPM. You could probably build one with Arduino for under $50. But for something this critical, do you really want to risk a homebrew design ? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8880
  9. I think your name should be changed to Amazing Dave. Very deep and informative. The part is liked the best is "I'll not make a long comment here" So the takeaway is : When withdrawing from bond (for tax purposes) like bottling, you must have an accurate scale per TTB guidelines For other tanks, you can get away with sight glasses - low wine receiver : filled from wash still, feeds the spirits still - feints receiver : filled from spirits still, feeds the next batch of spirits still - intermediate spirits receiver : filled from spirits still, feeds the spirits receiver - spirits receiver : filled from intermediate spirits receiver, fills the barrels
  10. Thanks for the replies, it seems like scales are the way to go. I'll definitely reach out to Fred at Prime Scale. It seems everyone is moving the tanks around. I was wondering how people with tanks bolted to the ground are using scales ?
  11. Which scales are you using ? Are your tanks bolted down for seismic reasons ?
  12. Most of the peaty smell will come towards the end, so taking cuts is trickier than unpeated malt, because you can't just cut off early and discard the feints. With just 15% peated malt it'll be even harder figuring out the hearts to tail cut. You might want to take multiple cuts and then combine them to figure out where the actual cut should be. If you are doing a smaller pilot run, you could do what Old Portero did when developing their rye. They took cuts in mason jars and combined to figure out when to cut.
  13. I was wondering how most of the folks measure the quantity of spirits during the process for reporting to TTB ? We were planning on using level sight gauges in the tanks, but were told that it is better to have the tanks on industrial scales. Would welcome your thoughts on what has worked for you.
  14. Dave, Thanks again for your reply. I knew that they wanted a consent signed by the owner. I guess if we sign the sublease, we should put in a clause that the actual owner will provide consent for the use as DSP.
  15. dhdunbar, Thanks for the detailed and very informative reply. We have been talking to the local authorities, and have found some cities friendlier than the rest. So we know which cities we could get an approval (non CUP) in 1-2 months if the sprinkler density and zoning and adjacent occupancy (and the phase of the moon) all align. While 1-2 months might work with the landlords, the 6-7 months was a real sticking point for most landlords.