Hello everybody - from a homedistiller....

Hello everybody! :D

I am glad I have found this forum. I am a homedistiller for many years and I am considering a career change - going commercial. I hope to find good information on this site which can help me out.

Cheers

StillCooker - still cookin'

www.stillcooker.com

I think you may have misunderstood this site. The people here are considering starting a legal distillery, or are allready distilling spirits legally. These people would never consider doing anything illegal. Keep this in mind when making your next post. A person wanting to start up a business can learn a lot, a person engaged in illegal activity can learn a lot also, if you get my drift. (Just a Thought)

I think you may have misunderstood this site. The people here are considering starting a legal distillery, or are allready distilling spirits legally. These people would never consider doing anything illegal. Keep this in mind when making your next post. A person wanting to start up a business can learn a lot, a person engaged in illegal activity can learn a lot also, if you get my drift. (Just a Thought)

I think the phrase "going commercial" implies a licensed distillery. I think the original poster understands this site. I also think many licensed and soon to be licensed distillers did indeed consider doing things illegally, and also did them. How else to experiment with distilling and gain experience? I did it, I know many others who did it, and who cares.

I think the phrase "going commercial" implies a licensed distillery. I think the original poster understands this site. I also think many licensed and soon to be licensed distillers did indeed consider doing things illegally, and also did them. How else to experiment with distilling and gain experience? I did it, I know many others who did it, and who cares.

Who care's? Let me think, maybe the TTB or State revenue agents.

I personally see nothing wrong with what you said, but anyone on any forum should be careful. No one ever knows who might be reading this or any other forum.

Just a thought.

Who care's? Let me think, maybe the TTB or State revenue agents.

I personally see nothing wrong with what you said, but anyone on any forum should be careful. No one ever knows who might be reading this or any other forum.

Just a thought.

Do state revenue agents really snoop around looking for home distillation? Truthfully I do not know because there are none where I am. I think they spent all the state money on tsunami warnings. The TTB though, as far as I know, does not have the staff nor the inclination to bother the very few (comparatively) home distillers. Anyone ever hear of something to the contrary? That would be a true waste of resources if it occurs.

Do state revenue agents really snoop around looking for home distillation? Truthfully I do not know because there are none where I am. I think they spent all the state money on tsunami warnings. The TTB though, as far as I know, does not have the staff nor the inclination to bother the very few (comparatively) home distillers. Anyone ever hear of something to the contrary? That would be a true waste of resources if it occurs.

The fines are based on what "their" estimation of a distillers capacity. The tax that they estimate is also part of the fine and count on an IRS audit. This not counting the straight fine and probation fees, etc, etc.

They states are broke at this point and will take any money they can get. Home distilling I think would be a great hobby, but could be expensive if all the paper work is not done properly.

• 1 month later...

I'm fully aware of the fact that a full licensed approach is the only correct way. I have started - like many other pros - out of curiosity and interest for the industry and product without a license, using a very small copper potstill. Going pro is a next step for me after gaining skills in existing commercial distilleries - (not based in the USA).