Rash of "Home Distillers" ???

Guest sensei

But regardless of the illegality of the activity, toxicity of some of the byproducts, the person in question did it anyway. And there are many other people doing the same thing. A little internet searching reveals at least four internet forums dedicated to home distilling or hobby distilling, and educating people by making available basic information on spirits, their manufacture, and safety.

Its good to see this site finally catching up to me. I pointed out the obvious months ago. People are going to practice at home to hone their skills. The laws are designed to severely limit the number of distilleries due to prohibitionist thinking living on in the 21st Century. Some legitimate distillers first practiced at home, perfected their craft, and now have legitimate businesses. People see this just as they see entertainers like Bill Maher talking about smoking marijuana all of the time and yet never going to jail & simply ignore laws that are not fairly enforced. I know some members here don't like this, but not liking reality doesn't make it go away.

Practicing a skill at home, legal or illegal is all well and good. If it is illegal the practitioner must also accept that fact and be prepared to accept also the consequences of getting caught. Bill Maher may talk all he wants about smoking pot, but if he stood stage in front of an audience and on air and lit up a joint he'd probably be arrested because it's illegal. If he sits in his home quietly puffing on a number, no problem; though it's still illegal there's almost no chance his door will be battered down by the fuzz.

I think the real disconnect is the difference between what one considers a hobby, legal or not; and seeking some legal sanction for that thing. To say "home distilling is legal" is not a simple thing. Once the government takes a stand that stand is subject to challenge, regulation, observation, inspection, all the things that go along with the government calling something which was up to that point illegal, suddenly Legal.

I'm also puzzled why the distiller, or anyone for that matter would WANT government intervention. If you are going to do, do it, quietly; but don't expect an entire government, indeed many governments when you take the States in consideration, to overturn centuries of control law. And after all isn't the illegality of home distilling part of the point, the radical, rebel flaunting the established law to be the Maverick? Cool, if you like that kind of life.

But do yourself a favor, if it's distilling you want to quietly, in your basement, wherever, that is your business. Don't expect the rest of the professionals or the distilled spirits industry to support the notion. I think I'll save my efforts and respect for those who do the work, pay their taxes and make fine spirits they can share with others.

I thought the topic of Amateur Home Distilling was being dropped by this Forum. Perhaps the Admin will comment?

• 4 months later...

Just in case any other unlicensed would be distillers are considering setting up in the basement:

Man, 19, guilty of making booze

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

By Regina Garcia Cano

Saturday, November 13, 2010 02:54 AM

Facebook bragging appears to be the undoing of an Upper Arlington man, who police say was selling homemade liquor and boasting about it on the Internet.

Joseph A. Rotkiske IV, of 2279 Edgevale Rd., pleaded guilty yesterday to a liquor-acts prohibition charge, a first-degree misdemeanor.

Municipal Court Judge Anne Taylor sentenced Rotkiske, 19, to two years of probation and 180 days in jail, with all but two of those days in jail suspended.

Taylor dismissed a second charge of underage drinking.

"We suspect that he was manufacturing wine, liquor and whiskey," Upper Arlington police Sgt. Jon Wilhelm said. "It's illegal." Rotkiske had a liquor still in his house, authorities said.

Although it's OK for people to make beer or wine for personal use, no one is allowed to "manufacture any beer or intoxicating liquor for sale, or shall manufacture spirituous liquor," according to the Ohio Revised Code.

Rotkiske was arrested Nov. 4, after a tipster told police that Rotkiske had told her he made and sold moonshine and wine, according to the Upper Arlington police incident report. She said he'd also advertised it on Facebook.

A confidential informant contacted Rotkiske and confirmed that he was offering wine and moonshine for $20 per quart and $60 per gallon, Wilhelm said. The informant bought one quart of moonshine from Rotkiske on two occasions, police said.

In a search of Rotkiske's home, Wilhelm said, police found distillery equipment; ingredients and recipes for liquor manufacturing; and liquor in various stages of production.

A recent check of Rotkiske's Facebook profile showed this comment from him: "ok once I get the distillery up and running to the level i expect, i'll get a good amount of money rolling in SO I wont have to depend on the Auto Body/ painting/air brushing stuff to put food on the table."

Police arrested Rotkiske in the home that he shares with his mother, Wilhelm said. The detective said she apparently didn't know he was selling the liquor he'd been making.

Rotkiske didn't return calls for comment this week.

Wilhelm said this is the first time in his 21 years with Upper Arlington police that he's heard about someone selling homemade liquor.