chloramines

Beauport Bob

Our city just announced the addition, beginning July 1, of Chloramines (a compound of chlorine and ammonia) to the public water supply. It has caused quite a stir. I searched this Forum and came up with just a quick mention of them.

Does anyone have comments,opinions or experience with them in distilling process?

Thanks,

Bob

Our city just announced the addition, beginning July 1, of Chloramines (a compound of chlorine and ammonia) to the public water supply. It has caused quite a stir. I searched this Forum and came up with just a quick mention of them.

Does anyone have comments,opinions or experience with them in distilling process?

Thanks,

Bob

One gram of ascorbic acid per 75 gallons neutralizes and precipitates the 3 ppm of chloramine present in municipal water. All unbound chlorine gas comes off with the fore-shots. It is always advisable to purify your process water prior to brewing, so in-line filtration would be the primary choice before you went with the Vitamin C method.

My $0.02 worth!

All the best,

Rusty

Hey all,

I just looked around a bit and found many concurring statements about Carbon being the only true way to remove it. That said, its just what I read. this is a quote from the site. "In choosing carbon for chloramine removal, a specially prepared carbon called “catalytic” carbon is far superior to regular carbon"Quoted from here. They also mentioned that RO was a great way since it used a carbon filter too. $.02..that makes four cents...almost ready to retire Bob?

Jes

Hey all,

I just looked around a bit and found many concurring statements about Carbon being the only true way to remove it. That said, its just what I read. this is a quote from the site. "In choosing carbon for chloramine removal, a specially prepared carbon called “catalytic” carbon is far superior to regular carbon"Quoted from here. They also mentioned that RO was a great way since it used a carbon filter too. $.02..that makes four cents...almost ready to retire Bob?

Jes

Now add my .02 and you can retire for sure. Our water company only chlorinates the water. No other elements present. We use a inline activated carbon filter to remove chlorine before cutting the spirits. Not necessary in the mashing process as all Chlorine is cooked off. So not a problem here. Coop

When our city switched over I did a bit of research, Chorine, if left alone will just burn off into the atmosphere if left for 24 hours, choramine doesn't so it does have to be filtered out or neutralized. Not sure how to do that for a professional sake but for my personal wine making I just use an in line refrigerator carbon filter. If using choramine water for pet fish it has to be treated and the pet store sell a tablet for that.

Potassium metabisulfate is the usual neutralizer for chloramine. The resulting ammonia sulfate aids in fermentation.

When our city switched over I did a bit of research, Chorine, if left alone will just burn off into the atmosphere if left for 24 hours, choramine doesn't so it does have to be filtered out or neutralized. Not sure how to do that for a professional sake but for my personal wine making I just use an in line refrigerator carbon filter. If using choramine water for pet fish it has to be treated and the pet store sell a tablet for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to hear from friends. Thank you all for the info. They are starting July 9th I think.

And with regards to all those USD$.02, I spent it all on our 4th of July Float. Right Jesse?

Bob,

Right as rain! Money well spent, it looked great and seeing you in the grass skirt reminded me the I needed weedwhacker string,lol. Were those glasses helf full or half empty, and with what?? It was good to see you all and we're sorry we didnt get to say hello to Dave. Please tell him for us.

The online searches I found all pointed to GAC being the way to filter the Cloramines out. Let me know if you need another filter for your inline. We can modify the design to let you gently pressurize it. good luck!