Artisan distillery startup

I figured it was time to register here and introduce myself.

I'm located on the Canadian Prairies and have recently made the decision to pursue my Artisan Distiller Licence. Unfortunately no such classification exists in this province, however B.C. and Ontario it does.

So this means I have to begin work on getting the laws changed.

My background is in Mechanical systems design (glorified CAD jockey), and having studied a healthy dose of organic chemistry, I believe I have the skills to make this work well. I'm currently working with a contact in china, on a startup company, designing and producing still parts and small scale distillation equipment.

My intentions are to design most of my equipment myself, as I've got 80% of the design finished with just tweaking and changes to be made for the sake of build cost.

Guest Bonanza

Welcome VB, wish you all the best for your new endeavor.

It’s a long journey to have the first bottle ready to sell, even in third world countries where I’m living, but she'll look so good for you when you have her in hand.

Joe

we got corn, barley rye and wheat here, so I'll be working with all of these.

the idea is to focus on 100% local ingredients, (gin being an exception since most of the botanicals won't grow locally)

I'll probably follow the typical route of vodka/gin first then aged whiskeys for sale once they've had enough time to age.

Bourbon is my favorite whiskey and I'd love to make it, but not sure if theres provision under labeling laws to call it such if its made in Canada.

but I'll make Single Malt, my own version of a Canadian Whiskey as well as a wheat whiskey.

I'd like to make rum too, but molasses isn't exactly a local ingredient.

Hi VB!

When you're ready to start looking into your packaging, please feel free to call / email me. We are a one-stop shop offering glass, printed cartons, bartops, capsules and a screen printed label, plus we'll arrange the freight. We're located in Vernon BC.

Derek

Universal Packaging Inc.

www.unipack.ca

1-866-549-1323 ex217

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing some minor design work for a startup company making parts for distilling equipment.

I figured I'd put this out there.

this is an early sketch of a small distillation system I've roughed out in AutoCAD.

Its no where near final, but looks to be in the sub 4k price range for the 30 gallon version.

boiler will be 304ss

6" or 8" manway (yet to be determined)

4" triclover flange for column connection.

3- 2" triclover flanges at the bottom for drainage or electric heating.

column will be all copper.

boiler can be electric heated, or direct gas heated

with a little work could be double boiler or steam heated.

I personally think the boilers would make fantastic fermenters or low wines storage.

and I'll be getting a complete unit for small batch recipe trials.

I've been doing some minor design work for a startup company making parts for distilling equipment.

I figured I'd put this out there.

this is an early sketch of a small distillation system I've roughed out in AutoCAD.

Its no where near final, but looks to be in the sub 4k price range for the 30 gallon version.

boiler will be 304ss

6" or 8" manway (yet to be determined)

4" triclover flange for column connection.

3- 2" triclover flanges at the bottom for drainage or electric heating.

column will be all copper.

boiler can be electric heated, or direct gas heated

with a little work could be double boiler or steam heated.

I personally think the boilers would make fantastic fermenters or low wines storage.

and I'll be getting a complete unit for small batch recipe trials.

Nice unit. Does the column include bubble caps or packing? The drawing seems to show bubble caps that can be opened or closed manually. Certainly sounds like a great deal for a small unit to run test batches. Let me know when you have one built.

Nice unit. Does the column include bubble caps or packing? The drawing seems to show bubble caps that can be opened or closed manually. Certainly sounds like a great deal for a small unit to run test batches. Let me know when you have one built.

yes its a bubble cap system, and yes the valves on the side are for plate disabling.

we've sent the drawings for the first parts off for manufacturing, and hoping to have them available and up for sale by early fall.