Indy Spirits Expo

Although it was not a huge event, the Indy Spirits Expo at Astor Wines in downtown Manhattan drew a large crowd for such a small space. Tequilas, Cachacas, Whiskeys, Rums, Vodkas, Gins, and even a Pisco were all represented. The pleasant Astor staff wore shirts asking us all to 'save the daiquiri' or a variety of other cocktails. The crowd was mostly young, hip, and genuinely excited about artisan spirits. The term mixology felt over used in general discourse and marketing materials. There were some amazing mixed drinks on hand though an it was overall a good time, though I would say only 20-25 distilleries were represented. I personally enjoyed getting to taste the new castries peanut rum cream www.castriescream.com, all the Tuthilltown products, bluecoat gin, and the St. Germain elderflower liqueur. The crowd was enthusiastic and despite the small space, I would say 500-600 people came. You can see pictures at this link: http://www.livethelushlife.com/content/indy-spirts-expo

Anyone else from this group go or plan on going next year? The Astor director of events really wants to grow this over the next few years.