What do you want in a potstill?

ViolentBlue

Spent some time chatting with Bill Owens today about my designs. He said he was impressed with them, but they are very much designed for fruit brandies, there ought to be a market for a well designed potstill for whiskey. I tend to agree with him, and would like to get some feedback as far as what you want to see in a potstill design.

On one end of the spectrum a traditional scotch whisky style still and on the other end a hybrid column.

tell me what you want, and I might just be able to get it made.

Column still's are out there, as are Alambic style. I'd like to see something in a swan's neck style pot still like those in Scotland or at Woodford Reserve, set up either for direct fire or an internal steam coil. That is what is missing in the inexpensive (read: not vendome) market.

Column still's are out there, as are Alambic style. I'd like to see something in a swan's neck style pot still like those in Scotland or at Woodford Reserve, set up either for direct fire or an internal steam coil. That is what is missing in the inexpensive (read: not vendome) market.

do you think steam jacketed would cut the mustard, if it could be done elegantly enough?

the columns seem to be a good portion of the expense, so the simpler the potstill the less expensive it'd be.

Working on a potstill design for a client, and was doodling a bit

boiler is a 150 gallon unit, and I just did a quick sketch of a goose neck on it.

scotch2.jpg

body of the still is in stainless, jacketed and insulated for steam heat. the goose neck would be in copper.

pricing for this should be around $10k

a variation on the theme

kentucky.jpg

I'm quoting this unit for someone, aiming for the old time American potstill with thumper

the "barrels" will be fabricated from stainless but will have decorative hoops in copper, just so they'd resemble wooden barrels.(had a moment of inspiration)

boiler is exactly the same as the scotch still above.

price on this one is confirmed at $10k. shipping should come in under 1k and hopefully duty won't be too bad (importing isn't my department, but the fella who looks after it is on vacation)

what about making your 150 gal goosneck still a direct fire instead of steam because its cheaper for a start-up distillery over buying a boiler system. there is gonna be so many distillerys starting soon that have tiny bugets and you guys could sell the crap out of them.

what about making your 150 gal goosneck still a direct fire instead of steam because its cheaper for a start-up distillery over buying a boiler system. there is gonna be so many distillerys starting soon that have tiny bugets and you guys could sell the crap out of them.

yup we can do that. it would reduce the cost a little too. a single walled boiler would be much less expensive to produce, up the guage on the bottom a bit, throw a skirt around it and an exhaust outlet and you should be good to go with direct fire.

do keep in mind your boiler won;t have near the life span direct fired as it would steam heated, but we could always build a direct replacement for the boiler, down the road, that was steam jacketed.

Could easily put a design together for you if that's what you want.

I'll be out of town this next week, but I'll pop in to check up now and again.

or else contact me at steven@artisanstilldesign.com as this goes directly to my cell phone.

if anyone would lie to speak to me directly on the phone, just email me and I'll send my mobile number to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a request for a 250 gallon direct fired potstill based on the above goose neck design.

250%20gallon%20potstill.jpg

spent some time chatting with Bill Owens about still design again. I incorporated some of his ideas, but still kept the Ogee because it looks so pretty.

added CIP sprayballs and an agitator, not having to be jacketed for steam does reduce the price to build.

guess I should have said price for above is 10k plus shipping & duty

How quickly can this or the steam jacketed version be turned around? Is the ball also copper? Can this be scaled down to a 50 gallon charge unit, and if so,

what would be the price?

How quickly can this or the steam jacketed version be turned around? Is the ball also copper? Can this be scaled down to a 50 gallon charge unit, and if so,

what would be the price?

the Ogee or "onion" is copper yes.

turn around is a little under 3 months deposit to delivery on most things we can make.

I will PM you regarding 50 gallon still.

• 2 weeks later...

best of both worlds?

columnstill.jpg

rendering is not quite complete, missing is much of the plumbing.

but I've been working with the factory for a while now on an all new smaller diameter column, so therefor shorter as well.

previously our standard was 16" diameter, this one is 12", so we can fit it under a 9ft ceiling height, which is a bit of an accomplishment all things taken into consideration. and a 150 gallon boiler will not reach the top limit of this column.

hard to see in the rendering is the bypass valve, full closed and it is a column still, full open a potstill.

one could take full advantage of this by using the column to bleed the heads off slowly and carefully, then open up for a full flavored whiskey with a broader hearts cuts.

• 7 months later...

never did build one yet.

I'm working with a client currently on a variation.

I have to versions, one with the top of the boiler in copper and the other with just the goose neck.

I have pricing on the latter, but still discussing with the factory how to best build the one with the copper top.

150scotch2.jpg

Looks good. Very similar to our 100 gallon all copper pot still that we're working on...ball and cone style... I'll post pictures soon once we have the top and bottom of the kettle joined together. After mucho reading I'm still not sure what the Lyne arm angle to condenser will be. Sloped up gives more reflux and sloped down allows for less and subsequently more tasty flavors. Hmmm...

I set mine to 0 degrees, nice mid point. at a certain point the heat of the vapor negates any noticeable reflux on a still this size. Now the Giant potstills of Scotland are large enough where the reflux does make a significant difference.

Had a request for a 250 gallon direct fired potstill based on the above goose neck design.

250%20gallon%20potstill.jpg

spent some time chatting with Bill Owens about still design again. I incorporated some of his ideas, but still kept the Ogee because it looks so pretty.

added CIP sprayballs and an agitator, not having to be jacketed for steam does reduce the price to build.

This is really nice. I'm saving up for something like it...