Lead distiller salary

Jay

Hi All,

I realize that most of us wear many hats in a small operation but curious if some of the larger operations would mind sharing the salary they pay their lead distiller? If you are willing please respond with the salary range.

A. $50-$70k

B. $70-$90k

C. $90k +

D. What the hell is a salary!

Low funds - free ( work 2nd job + stock)

Micro funds - (50-60k and stock)

Large well funded - ( 60-80k and stock and awards bonus)

Industrial (150k and stock, home and bonus)

I just have to ask, what are you considering 'low' and 'micro' funded?

Nothing sarcastic in the question, just wondering. In our area a 'good' job is $15 an hour. But in other parts of the country you can't survive on less than $50.

So would a good assesment of funding be based on how long a distiller has to work before he/she starts pulling funds out of their business for their personal survival?

I just have to ask, what are you considering 'low' and 'micro' funded?

Nothing sarcastic in the question, just wondering. In our area a 'good' job is $15 an hour. But in other parts of the country you can't survive on less than $50.

So would a good assesment of funding be based on how long a distiller has to work before he/she starts pulling funds out of their business for their personal survival?

I understand a dollar is not the same all over the country. (but) big dollars are.

If I was the CEO for some fast food restaurant in the south - I may make 200k + Stock + Bonus. It's the same if I'm the CEO in Boston. Big money is the same. Master Distiller in a big job needs big money.

Low = you are starting up on money from your friends. you may have one thousand or ten in the bank.

Micro = you may have 100k in the bank.

Large = you have million in the bank

Industrial = you have 200-300 million in the bank.

Low funds - free ( work 2nd job + stock)

Micro funds - (50-60k and stock)

Large well funded - ( 60-80k and stock and awards bonus)

Industrial (150k and stock, home and bonus)

Do you mind me asking: where did you come up with this?

I too would like to see some other input...

• 3 months later...

Yes, although I suspect the wine business numbers are heavily skewed toward west coast companies, which pay far higher than much of the rest of the country for food and beverage product business. I suspect there is wider variation in the craft distilling business reflecting the greater geographical diversity.

Yes, although I suspect the wine business numbers are heavily skewed toward west coast companies, which pay far higher than much of the rest of the country for food and beverage product business. I suspect there is wider variation in the craft distilling business reflecting the greater geographical diversity.

I agree currently there is a wider variation in micro distilling salaries. Its more likely because most of the early gen. micro distilleries grossly under estimated their start up costs, and have no capital to pay well while their brands gain traction. Also if you look at what a cellar person makes its 30k+/- so that seems right to pay a full time employee if you don't want a total nitwit working for you.