Bottling Proof for Liqueurs

Paul Tomaszewski

We have always operated by the premise that 22% abv or higher is antiseptic, therefore covering ourself when it comes to bottling, shipping, etc. However, I've seen various liqueurs out there that are bottled at lower proofs than that. Does anyone know how low is too low for bottling proof for liqueur-type products? Also, if you do drop to a certain abv/proof, is there certain shipping conditions to take into account? Thanks much for any information.

We have always operated by the premise that 22% abv or higher is antiseptic, therefore covering ourself when it comes to bottling, shipping, etc. However, I've seen various liqueurs out there that are bottled at lower proofs than that. Does anyone know how low is too low for bottling proof for liqueur-type products? Also, if you do drop to a certain abv/proof, is there certain shipping conditions to take into account? Thanks much for any information.

I've been told that for creme products, the bottom is 12.5% ABV, which is enough alcohol to keep the dairy product from spoiling.

I make a couple of mistelles (a type of fortified wine _much_ less fermented than a port) under the BW side of the business. They hold up very nicely at 17-18%

I think that down around 14% (11% is certainly at risk), you might run the risk of discovering an osmo-tolerant yeast in your facility or ingredients. They survive in juice concentrates and are a reason big label UK cider is all pasteurized. I've found them in pear juice concentrate. Nasty buggers, as they are not only tolerant of low water activity, they are resistant to sorbic acid, too.

There may be low ABV liquers - but they may be pasteurized. It's not like it has to be noted on the label.

I make a couple of mistelles (a type of fortified wine _much_ less fermented than a port) under the BW side of the business. They hold up very nicely at 17-18%

I think that down around 14% (11% is certainly at risk), you might run the risk of discovering an osmo-tolerant yeast in your facility or ingredients. They survive in juice concentrates and are a reason big label UK cider is all pasteurized. I've found them in pear juice concentrate. Nasty buggers, as they are not only tolerant of low water activity, they are resistant to sorbic acid, too.

There may be low ABV liquers - but they may be pasteurized. It's not like it has to be noted on the label.

This is very good information for me. I've not heard of this yeast. I assume I would not see this or any other "bugger" in my stuff at 30% and higher? If anyone knows of something I should plan for, I would appreciate any information. This is such a valuable site!!!!