Competent Label Printer

Saxtons

Saxtons, I think you need to clarify exactly what you're looking for. "digital label printer" suggests someone who's using a short-run 4c technology (eg, color laser) while foil stamping is a whole different printing discipline.

Certainly, both can be combined, but if you're going to pay for foil stamping, you can probably get offset as part of the mix; or letterpress if you really want to go all out.

What are you trying to accomplish? What's the quantity? Have you talked to any print brokers in your area?

You might want to check out St. Louise Lithography, they run the gammot on printing (pressure sensitive, wet glue, digital, flexographic, lithographic, and foil stamping). I had a great conversation with Ed Relling there, very helpful, had samples of their work on my doorstep the next morning. Given the qty of labels typically ordered i don't think shipping should be a determining factor, you're only going to vary a couple of days from one side of the country to the other and if you're in a bad way they could send you a small qty overnight. I'd choose quality over convenience on the labels they are very often your first introduction to your customer.

My typical run for labels is ~8,000 sets. I guess I got started with digital printers due to my original orders of ~3,000 sets. The foil stamping has been the difficult part. So far I've had two printers commit to producing them, only to admit they can't hold the registration. So my gold foil is floating more than is acceptable. St. Louis is one who can no longer hold the tolerances. I'll look into the print broker, I've only dealt directly with label printers before. Thank you.

There is your problem. The digital printers are almost certainly outsourcing the stamping. They print the 4c digital, then send to a foil stamper.

Word to the wise on printers. Most printers will tell you they can print "anything." What this actually means is that they can send your job to someone else then mark it up. I'd suggest calling up some printers in your area, and begin the conversation by asking if they do foil stamping in house. If they say yes, visit and check out their work. Unless they are a small specialty shop, it's almost certain that anyone who does foil will be printing offset as well. Get their samples of that too.

For 8,000 sets, offset will almost certainly be cheaper than digital, and will look better too.

If you can't find a local printer, then a broker may be the best bet, but be aware they'll mark up the price. They may also provide some hand-holding and technical expertise, which may be worth the up charge.

Thank you.

There is your problem. The digital printers are almost certainly outsourcing the stamping. They print the 4c digital, then send to a foil stamper.

Word to the wise on printers. Most printers will tell you they can print "anything." What this actually means is that they can send your job to someone else then mark it up. I'd suggest calling up some printers in your area, and begin the conversation by asking if they do foil stamping in house. If they say yes, visit and check out their work. Unless they are a small specialty shop, it's almost certain that anyone who does foil will be printing offset as well. Get their samples of that too.

For 8,000 sets, offset will almost certainly be cheaper than digital, and will look better too.

If you can't find a local printer, then a broker may be the best bet, but be aware they'll mark up the price. They may also provide some hand-holding and technical expertise, which may be worth the up charge.

• 1 month later...

We don't out source our printing and we can hold registration in most cases as long as the type isn't too small and if there are only 2-3 areas to trap to. We can look at designs and offer suggestions.

Our leafing equipment also has 3 stations, so we can leaf in multiple colors.

• 5 months later...

I am with Wright Labels in Thomasville, NC. We have been in the printing industry for over 50 years and printing wine and spirit labels for over 15 years. We have digital and flexo presses. No minimums. We are happy to help anyone in the industry with branding, design, labels, point of purchase materials, rack cards, posters and banners.

I would be happy to give references for the distillers we work with. The ADI Conference was fantastic for us and we appreciate those of you who have come to us!

Cheers!

Carol Phillips

336-906-9097 cell

800-678-9019 ext. 3214

www.wrightlabels.com

• Thumbs up 1

• 9 months later...

My typical run for labels is ~8,000 sets. I guess I got started with digital printers due to my original orders of ~3,000 sets. The foil stamping has been the difficult part. So far I've had two printers commit to producing them, only to admit they can't hold the registration. So my gold foil is floating more than is acceptable. St. Louis is one who can no longer hold the tolerances. I'll look into the print broker, I've only dealt directly with label printers before. Thank you.

Wright Labels

We have digital presses and UV Flexo presses for larger runs. We also have the capabilities of doing foil stamping and embossing. You may go to our website and ask for a quote or email me directly dennisr@wrightggs.com.

• 2 months later...

Hi...my name is Irene George with All American Label. We offer long and short run digital printing as well as foil, embossing and other ways to enhance your branding. We just exhibited at the ADI event in Denver. I cover the east coast for labels sales and would be happy to discuss further options with you.

Contact me at

irene@allamericanlabel.net

I look forward to hearing from you!