Cheers from WA

I figured I'd best introduce myself after reading everyones posts for a while. I'm Ryan Hembree from Snohomish (north of Seattle, WA) and am working towards starting up a small distillery.

A bit of background: I'm enrolled in Washington State University's Enology Certifate program and will wrap it up at the end of this year after 19 months of study. While enology is not distilling I've learned a ton on chemistry, micro-biology, fermentation, sanitation, legal issues as well as some decent business planning info. Day job is in economic development.

I've been studying and reading now on distilling for almost a year and am looking forward to putting knowledge to use. I've also been a homebrewer for a while and recently attended one of CARL's workshops which helped further drive my ideas.

Also, thanks to Dry Fly for their work changing our states antiqued laws and opening the door for others.

Cheers!

Ryan Hembree

Welcome to the ADI Forum, Ryan! Good luck on the progress on River Town Distillery, and I echo your gratitude toward the work of Dry Fly Distilling for making Washington's distillation laws more progressive!

All the best,

Rusty

I figured I'd best introduce myself after reading everyones posts for a while. I'm Ryan Hembree from Snohomish (north of Seattle, WA) and am working towards starting up a small distillery.

A bit of background: I'm enrolled in Washington State University's Enology Certifate program and will wrap it up at the end of this year after 19 months of study. While enology is not distilling I've learned a ton on chemistry, micro-biology, fermentation, sanitation, legal issues as well as some decent business planning info. Day job is in economic development.

I've been studying and reading now on distilling for almost a year and am looking forward to putting knowledge to use. I've also been a homebrewer for a while and recently attended one of CARL's workshops which helped further drive my ideas.

Also, thanks to Dry Fly for their work changing our states antiqued laws and opening the door for others.

Cheers!

Ryan Hembree

• 1 month later...
Guest Liberty Bar - Seattle

Hello all you Washingtonians!

Here in Washington, the 'Craft Distillery' bill is encouraging so many people here into the industry, and I really look forward to seeing what happens here in Washington over the next few years as our industry develops.

In fact, we have a distiller's guild here - www.washingtondistillersguild.org, and I encourage all Washington distillers or hopeful distillers to stop on by and sign up. It's incredibly encouraging to sit around with other people who have either opened their own distilleries or who have plans to do so.

Again, it should be a very, very interesting next few years.

Washington distillers - stop on by the guild's page, sign up and say hello. It'll be good to meet you.