Spent Lees

Robert Cassell

For those of you that ferment your mashes without seperation in an LT, and are distilling the fermented wash....what are you doing with your spent lees? Are your local farms taking that mess, or are you required to seperate or dry it in some fashion? I have seen large distillers using drying units etc. but at my size......I would spend more money on that (which I don't have) as well as the footprint of such a bohemoth, than I did for most of my distillery. Also, are you using a container to store this for the farmer? And if so, I'd love to hear your handling techniques.

I am all ears on this one....

We pump into a tank mounted on an old dump truck. Some water is drained after cooling and settling, then the remaining waste is dumped at a cattle farm to be mixed with other feed.

The farmer did construct a bin to receive the waste and he likes the extra moister, he believes it keeps longer and the moister is good for the mixing.

We pump into a tank mounted on an old dump truck. Some water is drained after cooling and settling, then the remaining waste is dumped at a cattle farm to be mixed with other feed.

The farmer did construct a bin to receive the waste and he likes the extra moister, he believes it keeps longer and the moister is good for the mixing.

We here in Colorado constructed a separator for $1200.00 which we pump our spent grains into from the fermentation tanks. Let it set a few days to drain then sell it back to the farmers at a rate of 70% of market pricing. It has been a win win for us. No disposal problems, 70% of the cost of our grain comes back to us, the farmer saves 30% on the cost of his grain bill. Can't lose on this. Coop

• 4 weeks later...
We here in Colorado constructed a separator for $1200.00 which we pump our spent grains into from the fermentation tanks. Let it set a few days to drain then sell it back to the farmers at a rate of 70% of market pricing. It has been a win win for us. No disposal problems, 70% of the cost of our grain comes back to us, the farmer saves 30% on the cost of his grain bill. Can't lose on this. Coop

Coop,

Any chance of posting some pics of this?