Hello and Licensing

Hi, this is Lynn from southside Virginia. I am former chemistry teacher who is trying to get a start in distilling. I am working on an application for an experimental license from the TTB while I work out the kinks. Have any of you gone this route? I too would like to purchase an experimental still and would love to hear any recommendations.

Also, are there any other women distillers out there?

Hi, this is Lynn from southside Virginia. I am former chemistry teacher who is trying to get a start in distilling. I am working on an application for an experimental license from the TTB while I work out the kinks. Have any of you gone this route? I too would like to purchase an experimental still and would love to hear any recommendations.

Also, are there any other women distillers out there?

Hi Lynn,

Dori from the Polished Palate here...

There are precious few women distillers around the globe. Probably the most famous is Lorena Vasquez, MD of Ron Zacapa Rum--in Guatemala. Joy Spence has been Master Blender of Appleton Rums for years. And, I believe there is one in Scotland and in Wales. One of the Vodkas (I believe Turi, but I'm not 100% certain). And, I know there's a woman Master Blender in Bourbon Country but her name escapes me at the moment (as welll as her employer's company name)

Hi Lynn,

Dori from the Polished Palate here...

There are precious few women distillers around the globe. Probably the most famous is Lorena Vasquez, MD of Ron Zacapa Rum--in Guatemala. Joy Spence has been Master Blender of Appleton Rums for years. And, I believe there is one in Scotland and in Wales. One of the Vodkas (I believe Turi, but I'm not 100% certain). And, I know there's a woman Master Blender in Bourbon Country but her name escapes me at the moment (as welll as her employer's company name)

Thanks Dori, good to hear that this craft is not totally devoid of women. I noticed that I sort of stuck out at the workshops I have attended! However, everyone has been very supportive and helpful and this forum seems like a great place to learn more.

And, I believe there is one in Scotland and in Wales.

Gillian Howell is distiller at Penderyn in Wales. She showed my family around Penderyn a few months ago and they have been pitching Penderyn visits to anyone who will listen since then. Wish I'd been able to hop the pond and make the trip.

Gillian Howell is distiller at Penderyn in Wales. She showed my family around Penderyn a few months ago and they have been pitching Penderyn visits to anyone who will listen since then. Wish I'd been able to hop the pond and make the trip.

Thanks!

Riannan Walsh of Celtic Malts is a very active woman who is putting together her Scotch distillery. And you might also consult with LeNell Smothers at LENELL'S Red Hook, Brooklyn; who is extremely knowlegable about things "whiskey".

Regarding your question about "experimental stills" I am unfamiliar with the differences in the application process, but given that all distilling starts with the Fed "Basic Permit" I am inclined to believe you'd be better off simply applying for the full Basic Permit then start small. There is no bottom limit to what you can produce or the size or character of the equipment that is used, that I am aware. It is usually at the State level that the type of distillery, capacity, license, etc is determined.

And damnit we NEED more Women in distilling. I'm getting tired of the same ole whiskered cheeks at our conferences.

Chuck may have more insight into this.

R

David Perkins at High West Distillery in Utah went the experimental license route. Perhaps you could contact him. http://www.highwestdistillery.com/

Good luck and welcome!

Dear Lynn,

Welcome to the ADI Forum, and to this industry. If gender matters, I know of a woman here in Washington who is just now starting, too. Margot Arellano from Sandoval Spirits in Tieton, WA will be making fruit eau-de-vie. I have yet not seen her on this forum, however.

The camaraderie here is phenomenal and I think we all pledge that you will be shown such a great level professional courtesy as we watch your project develop! Contribute often, and soon you'll lose the "Newbie" status.

All the very best,

Rusty

Dear Lynn,

Welcome to the ADI Forum, and to this industry. If gender matters, I know of a woman here in Washington who is just now starting, too. Margot Arellano from Sandoval Spirits in Tieton, WA will be making fruit eau-de-vie. I have yet not seen her on this forum, however.

The camaraderie here is phenomenal and I think we all pledge that you will be shown such a great level professional courtesy as we watch your project develop! Contribute often, and soon you'll lose the "Newbie" status.

All the very best,

Rusty

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! I really appreciate all the direction you are giving me and will follow up with those contacts.

Lynn

Hi Lynn.

I, too, and from Southside Virginia and am a woman, though not a distiller as of yet! I have been reasearching the distilling industry, and have also attended workshops. I am currently working on a business plan. Maybe one day!!

Good luck with your endeavor. Just wanted to say hello - from another Southern Virginian!

Sharon

Hi Lynn.

I, too, and from Southside Virginia and am a woman, though not a distiller as of yet! I have been reasearching the distilling industry, and have also attended workshops. I am currently working on a business plan. Maybe one day!!

Good luck with your endeavor. Just wanted to say hello - from another Southern Virginian!

Sharon

Hi Sharon!

I am so excited to hear from someone else in the area who is interested in distilling! Although I loved doing distillations as a student and a teacher, I never thought about doing as a business until about a year ago. I have wanted to start a woman owned business and was looking for a way to work with some of our local farmers. We also recently returned to live in Southside and I can't imagine why we ever left the area, so I really wanted to find a way to never need to move again. Anyway, that is my motivation for wading though all the details and paperwork that seems to be involved!

Where are you in Southside? I would love to hear your plans and hopefully we can run into each other! Best of luck to you as well,

Lynn

Hi Lynn.

I am in Halifax County, and I, too want to operate a woman-owned business. My family has lived in Halifax County for generations, and live on a farm (though nonoperational) passed down to me. My family has a long history of making moonshining, running moonshine, and drinking moonshine.

I also want to do something to help our local economy. Halifax County is highly agricultural, and the downfall of the textile industry was so devastating to our area's economy. Funny how the county officials here are concentrating on promoting "hi-tech" businesses when the area is agricultural and rural. Maybe we would make good Hi-Tech Rednecks!! HA HA! All joking aside...

I would really like for us to run into each other. Where are you in Virginia?

I am a firm believer of 'strength in numbers.' In Virginia, there aren't many artisan distillers. Our state has pretty restrictive laws regarding small distillers. Virginia has not lifted some of the restrictions (on-site tastings, distribution system) as the other states. These laws need to be changed!

One of my main concerns is zoning. Our county is pretty conservative, and a distillery would be controversial. Any thoughts??

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sharon

Hi Sharon!

I am so excited to hear from someone else in the area who is interested in distilling! Although I loved doing distillations as a student and a teacher, I never thought about doing as a business until about a year ago. I have wanted to start a woman owned business and was looking for a way to work with some of our local farmers. We also recently returned to live in Southside and I can't imagine why we ever left the area, so I really wanted to find a way to never need to move again. Anyway, that is my motivation for wading though all the details and paperwork that seems to be involved!

Where are you in Southside? I would love to hear your plans and hopefully we can run into each other! Best of luck to you as well,

Lynn