New chapter in the history of Tennessee whiskey making

Christian

Freezing beer (making a true eisbock) and removing the water and concomitant tannins is viewed as distilling (or at the very least, not brewing) by the TTB. The only way you can make/sell it in the US is if you freeze it and then let it thaw back into the beer (this is how Bud Ice got around this quirk), thereby defeating the purpose of Eisbock (raising the alcohol while smoothing the flavor and mouthfeel).

Redhook recently released an Eisbock. Since they are a Bud outfit now, I would guess that they cleared their production methods with the TTB.

In any event, I think that this thread has run its course, and this bickering is going nowhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Those of us who hold General Permits and State distilling permits know the fact of what is considered "distilling" and what is not, or we run the risk of being shut down. Arguments parsing out what is and what is not permitted are a waste of time. The Standards of Identity and other Federal regulations clearly define what is permitted and what is prohibited. Clearly mixing a cocktail is NOT considered "producing" a spirit; the taxes on the production are already paid and the product is legally acquired, otherwise every bar in the US would be exposed to prosecution and closure. I suggest avoiding getting sucked into useless debate on already well defined topics. If you have doubts read the law, or hire a high priced attorney to explain it to you.

• 5 months later...

First off congrats and Cheers and much good luck.

How can you work in this industry and not understand the very basics of it?

I would venture to say that may be same as millons of others did over time making moonshine with out knowing much about it.

• 10 months later...

Ralph, always with the mature answer...

I know its an old post and all but I had to comment.. first, this is what I imagine a Maury show with distillers would be like. second, an infusion (for on-premise consumption) typically has to be made on the same day as it is consumed e.g. barrel aged version would be unallowed unless aged for less than a day. Third, cowdery is being a dbag about the whole thing (which is what started it off). He should have said, "hey congrats on opening a distillery" - because we all know how many untruths there is in our industry. Lastly, Tennessee whiskey, as cowdery makes it, is the legal definition that JD has spent millions over the years lobbying for. However, these boys are making whiskey in TN which, I think, was their point.

None-the-less, I wish them luck. How has nobody commented on the beautiful packaging they have? [phrasing...]