A Newb's First Question! Zoning.

Wood's

Hi Gang,

I'm a newb working on a new Distillery Business plan in CO.

I saw something in a newspaper write up concerning distilleries in Northern Colorado last month. In the article the comment was made that "Distilleries need to be located in Industrial Zones, that's why ...couldn't locate his in the downtown."

I've read through all of Article(s) 46,47, and 48 of the CO code and can't see where that requirement is defined.

Is there any truth to this, or can one's distillery be located in a downtown commercial zone if the City/municipality allows it?

Thanks in advance. This is my first of I'm sure many questions!

Zoning requirements are determined and managed by your local city or county governments, not the state. It's good that you're thinking about this early. Go talk to your local officials, sometimes there are exceptions for certain types of businesses - for example, my city has an exception written in for microbreweries, allowing them to locate downtown. You may also be able to apply for a variance if you're wedded to a particular location for some reason, but those aren't guaranteed.

• 4 weeks later...

We have found from our attendees to our workshops that local zoning is often an issue. Many municipalities know little about this industry so far. Now the ones that have figured out the traffic a distillery can attract are opening it up a bit. A visit to the local officials as mentioned above is your very best option. We have found that some education to these folks can help. For example, fire codes can be interpreted differently when applying them to a distillery. Good Luck!

We were one of the distilleries mentioned in that article. FIrst understand that the media doesn't always get their facts or quotes straight. In order to get your DSP you will have to prove that your location meets local zoning requirements. The city of Loveland considers distilleries & breweries manufacturing. Downtown Loveland is zoned Business Enterprise so manufacturing may be allowed there unless you get a "Use Change". This requires going through the planning commission and a city hearing. As with many decisions you will face in the months to come you have to determine if it is worth it for you to focus your time & resources to be in that location.