We have some artwork on our case boxes - it's what we've had since we started. For the most part, I do not think it is necessary, aside from the required stuff and a clear enough labeling so that store personnel and distributor personnel can easily identify your cases and distinguish one product from another. However, if you have retailers putting up stacks of your cases on the sales floor, you should really think about how you can capitalize on the billboarding opportunity there and artwork would be more important. Whether you'll get stacks depends on your pricepoint and how you negotiate with that particular retailer, in most (but not all) cases.

We do most of our design work in-house. I imagine you'd find a range of approaches taken among craft distilleries, depending on aptitude/interest as well as budget and available funds.

I've got case art as well, can't comment on the impact to sales but agree that you have some nice display opportunities, can add a case unit barcode, and I like the look. Considerations are that art adds the cost of a printing plate which can be $600 and extra expense for 1 color or four color printing; if you have multiple products you may end up carrying case inventory for each line (alternatively you could have a standard design with all products listed with a check box to mark what's inside). Are you currently using a label on your cases?

I think you'd pay off that one time $600 plate cost quickly when compared your label costs, you could blow your artwork up on the box, and leave fields to add batch and bottle info. Forgot to answer your second question from above, I've gone with a graphic designer for everything.

• 4 years later...

Sorry for the newbie question, but how are you ordering your cases?  Are you getting them separately from a vendor and then tossing the cases in which the bottles are shipped to you?

Any specific types of info other than barcode and the specific product that you need to include on there?

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Hope Springs Distillery said:

I am also asking about labels on cases -- our distributor suggested that we just use labels at first, since it's not likely anyone will see the boxes for a while.  My question:  I cannot seem to find the definitive answer on what does the TTB require on boxes, and do I need to have them approved?

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=16a5aa18f560926c0b7ce8d021db2cbb&mc=true&node=se27.1.19_1489&rgn=div8

Can't say I've ever seen the bigger DSPs put the date filled, and some other stuff on there.  But it's good to do.

And for what it's worth, we have been on the market for over a year and are still using case labels, but are looking to get cases printed as liquor stores have been buying and stacking multiple cases.  Now custom cases is no longer the thought of sending money straight into the recycling bin, but another piece of advertising we can use.

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2016 at 7:00 AM, RCHagemann said:

Sorry for the newbie question, but how are you ordering your cases?  Are you getting them separately from a vendor and then tossing the cases in which the bottles are shipped to you?

Any specific types of info other than barcode and the specific product that you need to include on there?

Yes there are several required info on the case.  You should have a UPC for the case that is separate from the individual bottle, bottle size and qty, proof, etc.  i think it's listed in the CFR under "packaging" but I'd bet there are several threads on here with specific info needed... basically, if it's required on your label, put it on the case (rule of thumb, not rule of law)

If you buy your bottles pre-cased, inquire with your supplier to see what their costs are for custom bottles.  If you purchase bulk you options are open for case suppliers (they're everywhere)