Another from Washington State

Hello All,

I'm a newbie to the hobby and interested in all aspects of distillation, but most specifically from the standpoint of the small craft distillery. I've nearly completed the construction of my first still, a simple reflux column that I built to teach myself the basics. So far I've learned that soldering stainless is impossible for me, and that copper is VERY expensive. I'm looking forward to learning more and perhaps working my way through the red tape that will allow me to distill legally. Anyway, hello to all, and feel free to drop me a line if you like.

C. Johnson

Ellensburg WA

Guest Liberty Bar - Seattle

Hello there.

I'm very happy to see more Washingtonians getting involved in craft distilling. In fact, we have started the Washington State Distillers Guild to help further the industry here in Washington, and to help individuals that would like to become distillers. There are many resources in Washington for beginning distillers, so please feel free to run over to the Washington Distillers Guild, join on up and say hello.

Again - congrats.

washingtondistillersguild.org

post-119-1221958319_thumb.jpg

Welcome Chris.

So far I've learned that soldering stainless is impossible for me, and that copper is VERY expensive.

Never fear, it's not just impossible for you, it is for everybody. You can't solder stainless...you have to rely on brazing, welding or mechanical connection (threads, nuts-n-bolts, etc.). Pretty scary times when copper is more expensive than stainless, no? Still, the extra cost is worth it with the extra workability...and it polishes up so purty :)

Hello All,

I'm a newbie to the hobby and interested in all aspects of distillation, but most specifically from the standpoint of the small craft distillery. I've nearly completed the construction of my first still, a simple reflux column that I built to teach myself the basics. So far I've learned that soldering stainless is impossible for me, and that copper is VERY expensive. I'm looking forward to learning more and perhaps working my way through the red tape that will allow me to distill legally. Anyway, hello to all, and feel free to drop me a line if you like.

C. Johnson

Ellensburg WA

Hi Chris, and all the best to you as you learn the craft. Please visit me in Ellensburg whenever you wish to talk shop.

Good luck,

Rusty