Looking for any feedback on equipment providers

GeekSpirits

Steve,

Please allow me to suggest that you are in error on your ASME comment. Distillation equipment, even those that are vented to atmosphere are considered pressure vessels by the ASME code. It is standard in all industries that use Distillation equipment (Pharma, Petro-chem, etc) to secure ASME certification for all distillation equipment. The manufacturer often inserts a CYA that pressure relief valves are to be specified and installed by the client.

All that being said, any distillation unit in Beverage Alcohol (even those vent to atmo) should have a MAWP of 15-25 PSI at 302F.

For those of you reading these posts and looking to secure equipment (specifically distillation equipment), an ASME rating is a level of security that you can place on the manufacture of your equipment. Manufacturers unwilling or unable to provide ASME rated equipment should be at the bottom of your procurement priority list (ASME ratings for a shop are expensive to secure and maintain and some smaller shops just can't afford to participate, which is fine). You have too many things to be worrying about.....DSP license, bond, marketing, funding, etc, to be worrying if your equipment has a flaw that ASME practices would have found during manufacture.

http://en.wikipedia....ssel_Code_(BPVC)

you can request onsite one time ASME certification, same as is needed for Carl, Holstein and other German manufactured stills, they require pressure test report for the vessel and installation of ASME certified safety valves. 15psi is considered inherently safe, and in most districts steam piping and permits can be handled by a regular plumber. all our systems are tested to 60 psi and are rated for 45 psi steam. Having contacted ASME for certification, we were told there is no classification that we require certification under, merely registration.

we are registered with TTB and FDA as manufacturers of distillation systems.

• 2 weeks later...

We're running an Artisan Design still. We're super happy with how we've made it thus far; in our book, how we got through the sale and post sale are at least as important than price point. If you're spending your own money (vs a bank loan), i think you might agree. Steve has worked his ass off to make our sale perfect. That gets my endorsement every time.

i cant say anything about other still suppliers, but i doubt youll be disappointed with Steve at Artisan.

if anyone wants to talk about Artisan, just holler at me. im at eightsixfour 640053one.