space in the fermenter when fermenting

jlevac

Hey J,

No problem other than wasted space. Typically when you size a fermenter you're looking for an additional 25-30% head space this allows whatever you're fermenting to foam up but not out of the FV. Anything over 30% isn't necessary but also isn't detrimental. You may want to think what size you'll really need, if you're going to ferment 60 gallons to charge your still rather than go for 110 gal, would you be better served spending a little extra and go for a 160 gallon fermenter so you could get 2 still charges from one FV load plus head space. The idea is: if you're going to have extra space in your fermenter it should make sense; why pay for an extra 50 gallons of head space if you'll only use 20 of it. Either size it for what you need now or a multiple of what you'll grow in to (allowing for head space) in the not too distant future.

You sometimes need a lot of head space if you are doing rye.

I don't normally have a problem but I once over-foamed a 50% head space.

Good direction per Ned and PeteB. Some grains cause foaming more than others (amaranth foamed out of a 70% head space, quinoa also awful), but cleaning is a fact of brewing and you can always use a foam-controlling agent. I kinda like it when the fermenters overflow. Makes for an interesting distillery tour when you have oozing vessels.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this might not be in every artisanal producers mind set but perhaps look into anti-foaming agents to reduce the required head space... When I worked at the lab doing test fermentations I did some work with these and they work miracles... they remain at the surface of the product so can be removed if desired and are food grade... an easy way to increase production with out buying more equipment

• 10 months later...

We use Magrabar organic anti foaming agent.

I just talked to Magrabar and they're sending me out some samples. Mentioned that you had recommended them. Are you doing a certified organic spirit, or did you just choose to use their organic product?

I've used Fermcap as well. What's nice about that is that it works in the still as well...add it to keep your krausen from making a mess, and it works to keep your pot clean!