best way to learn distilling?

feeroz

what is the best way to learn how to distill your favorite alcohols? is there a specialized school? do you need to find a mentor? learn by first working at an operating distillery? reading up on distillation? experimenting in your own backyard?

I would say yes to all your options listed. Get as much info as possible whether from reading, visiting other distillers, going to classes, researching web sites (this forum is excellent, by the way) or any other way you can get yourself up to speed. THEN try the experimentation after you've been properly licensed. It takes time, patience, and determination, but it's also very fun and interesting. Good luck with your journey.

Mike

I do know that there is a "Chillin' and Disitllin' " class coming up in Novermber at Delalware Phoenix Distillery in Walton, NY. It's the week of Novermber 8th. I've heard some very good things about Cheryl.

Where are you in New York?

i'm in NYC, and i just looked up chillin' and distillin' at delaware phoenix distillery. $500 is pretty steep though, considering lodging and meals aren't included. it looks like a lot of fun though, and i'm sure the people you get the opportunity to meet are really cool.

Actually, if you look it's really cheap once you compare with other hands on courses. I would read up on homedistiller.org and/or practice in your backyard. All the distillers that I know that are worth their salt learned by building or purchasing a small still and learning in their backyards just for the simple fact that it's the cheapest way to get distilling time in. It's hard to make good whiskey if you haven't taken the time to make gawd aweful rot gut whiskey and then progressed from there. There are legal implications if you don't go about it in a smart manner though. I learned a lot, though, by reading how home distillers work on up to actually paying to take a class at a production distillery.

• 3 weeks later...

Feeroz- go visit some of the distilleries in NYC. There are around ten in Brooklyn alone. I reccomend you call and chat with the guys at the New York Distilling Company. They do tours and tastings twice a day. You can tell Allen Katz I mentioned that he speak to you. He may let you do an internship.

http://nydistilling.com/the-team/

thanks for the advice jonathan. i've visited and toured new york distilling company and drank at the shanty before. it was definitely a cool experience. i'll send them an email asking whether i can intern there.

Feeroz- go visit some of the distilleries in NYC. There are around ten in Brooklyn alone. I reccomend you call and chat with the guys at the New York Distilling Company. They do tours and tastings twice a day. You can tell Allen Katz I mentioned that he speak to you. He may let you do an internship.

http://nydistilling.com/the-team/

Artisan Distilling Forums (no relation to Artisan Still Design) seem to be a bit of a cross over point of hobbiests to professionals.

the folks there seem to be very interested in the craft more so than making Hooch.

I recognize many people here who were/are over there.

While ADI does not endorse unlicensed distilling, they do acknowledge its existence.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd have to agree that understanding how to ferment materials properly is a major key. Lots of things can be learned from just making beer and wine. See the process. Distilling as my German friends say is simply just boiling water. there are special steps with certain materials that have to be understood, like temperatures to cook grains to soften proteins and make sugars available, with fruit, pectins need to be broken down to make proper fruit wines if they have pectin. Certain or most ferments benefit from nutrients, the yeast need it, not the yeast. Siebel institute is a good school, what they won't teach you, if you still have questions, they are more than willing to help you find answers to the questions during or after class has ended. Very nice group. There are numerous schools now.