As a marketer, I use them all the time for my clients ads, products, posters and the like. But, you have to ask yourself, "what do you want them to do?" Link to your website or page on the site? Link to your facebook for a "like"? Link to enter a contest? Link to directions? Link to an e-mail account? Link to a drink recipe? Link to a coupon? There's so many things you can do with them. But, the user has to have a smart phone with a QR reader on it for it to function. Is it worth the real estate on your label? Depends on what you're trying to do with it.

Here's some numbers for ya, I put a QR code on a full size fiberglass cow for a grocery store promotion at a local event that had about 5000 people attending. It was scanned about 260 times during the event for a discounted food item at the store. So, that's a 5.2% usage, about twice the return when compared to a direct mail piece.

Not to undermine Panoscape's actually expertise and numbers, but I've been told by some marketers that they are already passe and the trend is over. Just my opinion. Also what Panoscape says is true what do you want it to do? If you put that on then you might not have room for a real web address and the people who don't scan it might not ever look you up.

I use QR codes to refer people to infusion recipes. I have some printed cards, and they are on the sell sheet too. I used to have one on my business card too, but that was overkill. Same with coasters. I feel once they were found everywhere in different shapes and colors, they they lost their coolness factor by quite a bit. However, if used now a days they must point to something immediately relevant. QR codes that just point to webpages or other generic landing pages are a waste of space. The average consumer is not going to browse your dot-com on their phone.

hps_cards.jpg

Also, Bakon vodka recently launched a program to provide users with the ability to track their bottle's creation, and then somehow interact with it further, all via QR codes and a mobile device. Here's one of the press releases: http://beqrious.com/bakon-vodka-employs-qr-codes-to-increase-consumer-engagement/ No word on the success.

Personally, I think it's a lot to ask of the consumer to interact with an alcohol product using their mobile device. And I think that expecting any consumer to interact more than once is a pipe dream, at least in this "day and age".

hi Ross,

Following up on the "what do you want QR codes to do" comment, what do you find are the most effective uses? While the 5.2% statistic for people getting a discount is certainly interesting, I'm curious as to whether they only inspire "1 time" impulse scans, or whether there is a "most effective use" for enhancing long-term engagement.

I personally don't have a smartphone, so I'm more on the skeptical side per Carter's comment.

I was thinking the people most likely to use them are probably social media types already, so probably would have it link to Facebook page or something. But really I don't have a specific objective, other than that I see them everywhere else.

Thanks for the feedback.

@ Jedd, I mainly use them to link to things that don't change and are one hit uses, the main one is being Facebook "likes". Get them to "like" you and then you can continue to market to them through FB. Regarding their status as being passe, if you limit your marketing touchpoints then you limit your potential sales.

All a QR code does is to link the print world with the ever expanding digital world. That digital world can be anything... your use of it makes it either trite or groundbreaking.

http://www.getbusymedia.com/big-brands-prove-the-effectiveness-of-qr-codes/

Sorry if this is off topic.... But when I was looking into Logo Design and OR Coding, I talked to someone about this. You do not need a big OR Code on your label. But I guess you would need to advertize the customer needs the app. You have the app installed on your phone, you get the logo in your camera viewing area. Then the magic starts. Your label comes to life with animation. The samples I saw where very impressive.

Look into an app called "Living Art". It might be the new thing for marketing. I saw it on a beer bottle and I also know Coke uses it. You can point your phone at any Coke label and it will start. It could be a coke machine, can, bottle or whatever, anything with the Coke label on it. When the label is active it has different places you can click for websites or anything where else you want to direct them. You could have a link for recipes, infusions, email or anything you want.

If you go to

http://dominationgraphics.com/LIVING_ART.html

You can find out more information. They have short video of doing it with a business card. The demos they showed me in person where much better than the video online. Like I said I was pretty impressed. I did not talk to them about the design costs. But something I want try down the road.

• 3 months later...

I've used them on POS for facebook with limited success. QR codes need to be used right, pointing to your website may not work, if the user has to search your site for the information. I now have a QR code on my POS that points to a specific page on my mobile web site. When I promote in an area, I create a google map of my accounts so I can find my way around. Then I create a QR code of the map and stick them on poles signs and otherwise deface public property in that area. I'm always experimenting with something. I find that the technology is too new to work effectively, at least in Northern Wisconsin...it seems you have to be smarter than your phone. I believe that eventually we will be using them all the time.