formula approval, needed?

Werner Distilling

• 6 months later...

Do I read the TTB site right that a Rum formula is only needed if harmless color/flavor/blends are used (so for a spiced rum)? So a straight up distilled rum doesn't need a formula? What about a distilled rum that is blended with another distilled rum (sourced from another distillery)?

Thanks

Wow, thanks Todd... so that means I can't buy Rum from California and Texas (I'm totally making that up) and blend them for bottling or storage? Nor can I mix something I produce with something from another state... weird. Any logic I'm missing there?

Actually I may have inadvertently sent the wrong code. Of course you can do that. Some companies sell product specifically for that purpose. I would need to go back to the codes and look. Read around that area (19.34-something) regarding receiving spirits in bond and processing. A well placed call to the TTB may also be warranted for clarification.

Todd

I re-read what you had posted above, and there is an exception for Brandy and Rum in section e that appears to have no restrictions for blending to perfect them according to commercial standards... so it looks like you can blend some of your own production with something brought in house.

Thanks

Tom

• 2 months later...

I got my formula approval and it was classified as a distilled spirits specialty. I presume because of the used barrel part. I find it very frustrating that the standards of. Identity for rum are wide open until it gets to the ttb and someone there makes up his own rules or is there another set of rules somewhere else buried in some other section? I don't like wasting time.

Sorry for the confusion, I hijacked my own thread. Between when I started this thread and got to the actual approval I had changed to just a regular rum aged in used bourbon barrels. It got approved, but as a distilled specialty product, and I was required to. Remove "Rum" from the label and to put the statement "rum aged in used bourbon barrels" on the label. So, if its a new barrel with rum, would that fly?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...