Fermenting Room Temperature

bannonjd

We are in the Northeast of New York State up in the Adirondack Mountains. Cold in the winter (subzero to 30's) and 70's up to 90 degrees (hottest it gets) in the summer. Question is the need for a temperature controlled fermenting room. We have a room that I could easily heat and cool without to much of an expense to keep the temperature constant. Is that a good idea? Is it necessary? Thought it might keep our product consistent. Spoke to another distiller that was having trouble making whiskey in the summer due to warm temperatures. Plan to make moonshine as well as whiskey,bourbon, gin ?rum. Thanks

You want to control fermentation, you must control temperature. Whether you choose to control the room or not, is a different matter. Controlling the room will not guarantee control of the fermentation temperature, although you might be able to get away with the variation from batch to batch without individual fermenter control. Right now, that is what we do. Control each of the fermenters, you might be able to get away with not controlling the room. If you can, control both. If it is easy for you to control the temperature without much expense, then do so.

Thanks…This room is a closed space i.e. 12ft by 15ft with a door. Should I be concerned about fumes etc or is that a non issue?

You should be concerned about fumes. More so, you should be concerned about carbon dioxide. You need some ventilation, more if you are dumping smelly mash into the fermenters, more yet if you mash in the space.