Need Distillery School Recommendations

ATXZJ

Hello, new to the forum and also to the world of distilling. I have become interested in joining the distilling industry and have started doing a little research and some tours to gain a basic understanding of the process. I understand that i will need some sort of formal training and will have to start from the bottom and work my way up, but want to start in the right direction first. I see a few distilleries are offering training and looking for some feedback from people in the business and what you recommend for someone starting from square one.

Big thanks in advance,

Marcus

Hi Marcus .. Andy and Mitch @ Downslope Distilling in Denver have a good 2 day school and it is very cost effective and hands on ... Almost all of the distillers in the area are very freindly and welcome tours and stupid questions ( Thanxxx Nick @ SF spirits ,,) and all of the guys and gals in Colorado are cool!! ... I'm setting up in Albuquerque if you want to drop by.....Brian

Brian, thanks for the quick response and insight!!. You're right about Sf spirits, they are good people for sure. I've also considered the downslope school as well as the SIPS one in WA but just didn't know where to start.

Man, I would absolutely love to take you up on the offer to stop by and chat. Let me know when and where!

Marcus

Hi Marcus .. Andy and Mitch @ Downslope Distilling in Denver have a good 2 day school and it is very cost effective and hands on ... Almost all of the distillers in the area are very freindly and welcome tours and stupid questions ( Thanxxx Nick @ SF spirits ,,) and all of the guys and gals in Colorado are cool!! ... I'm setting up in Albuquerque if you want to drop by.....Brian

• 1 month later...

We are now doing one. But it's one on one (or two on one) and it's expensive. I happen to think it's totally worth it, but I'm biased.

I don't want to waste my time or yours. I also expect it to weed out people that aren't sure this is their path. PM if you want info.

We are now doing one. But it's one on one (or two on one) and it's expensive. I happen to think it's totally worth it, but I'm biased.

I don't want to waste my time or yours. I also expect it to weed out people that aren't sure this is their path. PM if you want info.

Seems like your mailbox is full... I got an error when trying to PM you.

We're centrally located to many, in Western Kentucky, about an hour from Nashville, TN. Our class is about as all-inclusive as it gets on the production/business/starting up sides. It's only one day and we tend to fill up several weeks in advance. You can find otu more on our website http://mbrdistillery.com/Camp_Distillery.html.

• 4 weeks later...

I just returned from Paul's class. Being a newbie I feel it was well worth the expense and effort. It was a long day and covered a lot. There were students from Texas, Michigan.....I think.....and other far away places including my distillery partner and I from upstate NY.

Thanks for the great class Paul.

Brian.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone attended Lallemand's Distilling School (http://www.lallemandbds.com/education/ethanol-technology-institute/the-alcohol-school/)? I'm considering going to Montreal this September, but would like to get someone's take on it before I take the steps to attend. I am serious about learning all I can about the industry before diving in.

We attended the Smooth Ambler 2 day course (JohninWV), I can't say enough good things about the experience. We covered all phases of the business and made some new friends for life. Make sure ready to work, because these guys put you through the paces.

Thanks again John, couldn't have been better.

Phil