Steam cleaning and sanitizing equipment?

Jonathan Forester

I personally wouldn't use steam for cleaning.

If you are looking to sanitize w/steam, go by the temperature gauge on your fermenters (it appears that you're asking what psi to use for steam sanitization). Pump the steam in from the lowest point on your fermenter.

Be advised, though, that wide temp swings can be rough on SS. And you have to be mindful of your glycol system if you have one.

Just my opinion.

We are just about finished building our brewery/distillery and use steam to power our brew kettles. Our system produces 15 psi steam. What would you recommend to use to be able to steam clean and sanitize our equipment?

thanks

Jonathan

We use the hot water outflow with a CIP system. Steam seems a bit too much for fermenters; more than a spray ball with hot water and mild caustic...

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to say sanitize our fermenters. I mean to use steam to do general cleaning and sanitizing of the brewery, not inside fermenters, brew kettle, tuns, etc.

We use the hot water outflow with a CIP system. Steam seems a bit too much for fermenters; more than a spray ball with hot water and mild caustic...