Raw Materials Selction

jalbert

I am very curious to know more about the various spirits that can be made from the wide variety of fruits and grains here in WA state. Can't vodka be made from almost anything - i.e. certain fruits and vegetables (grapes, sugar beets, etc.)? Why isn't vodka being made from peaches, plums, apricots, etc.?

Are there any asset maps or other resources available to help distillers get access to farmers with the raw materials - to cut the middle men out of the picture by going direct to source?

How much of a financial burden is the cost of energy to heat the stills? Are people setting up stills adjacent to facilities that produce waste heat for co-generation energy savings?

If anyone has the time to answer these questions I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Jason

You can make vodka out of anything. The TTB definition of Vodka is very open and simple.

The final distillation must be at 190 proof or higher. (ethanol)

and

Neutral spirits distilled or treated

after distillation with charcoal or

other materials so as to be without

distinctive character, aroma, taste

or color.

But, the catch to what you're asking isn't in "CAN I make vodka from.....?"

It's more of "what would be the drawbacks of...?".

If you change or alter your submitted recipe you fill out lots of paper work.

It's cheaper to make fuel for the tractor than it is booze for the buddies.

peace

Dounuts 4 Fuel

P.S. In case you're wondering about the name. Many years ago I was broke and desperate. So, I went dumpster diving behind the "day old" bread store. My prize was thousands of powdered dounuts (starch AND suger). My reward, enough fuel for driving to work for the week. Sad story with a happy ending!!!!

If you change or alter your submitted recipe you fill out lots of paper work.

It's cheaper to make fuel for the tractor than it is booze for the buddies.

Slight correction, if you don't mind. You don't have to submit formula to the TTB for Vodka. But you can't contradict what is stated on your approved label.

We are located on an apple orchard and make our vodka from apples. We love the results and wouldn't do it differently, but it is much more expensive than starting with NGS. If you are looking into fruit spirits, you may want to consider brandy, which takes fewer distillations than vodka (thus less energy use).

We are located on an apple orchard and make our vodka from apples. We love the results and wouldn't do it differently, but it is much more expensive than starting with NGS. If you are looking into fruit spirits, you may want to consider brandy, which takes fewer distillations than vodka (thus less energy use).

I recently read an news article about a new apple vodka distillery in NY, I take it that means you. Thanks for your response.

When you make your vodka from apples, does it matter what condition the apples are in? There is so much fruit here in WA that goes to waste b/c of appearance (i.e. blemishes, scales, overipe). As I understand it, imperfect fruits are okay for vodka but NOT for brandy.

Is this assumption correct?

Thanks,

Jason