Best place to get an agitator???

LockHouse

I am planning to use an air operated double diaphragm pump to circulate my wash:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KFFRUO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am just adding a 3-way valve to my tank outlet, then an inlet on the back of the still dome. Seemed like a simpler and cheaper option than adding a mixer and I have the added benefit of being able to use this pump as a backup transfer pump if the other one fails or needs rebuilt.

What's the wisdom on getting a mixer for the kettle?

I had one in my Hoga and the copper bound the output shaft and fried the motor.

I want to replace it, but also need to find some sort of stainless pilot bearing so I can re-enforce the mounting and not lose the motor again through bind.

Are there any folks who provide such motors that know our industry and can help with the whole sealed tank, higher heat, low rpm etc etc issues we face?

Thanks

John

• 4 weeks later...

Pumping for agitation? That's a great idea, never thought of that. What brand/model pump do you use for that? I've got a 50 gallon boiler on order and want to do an on-grain corn mash but have no agitator in it. I could add input/output on opposite sides of the boiler so the pump output sets up a flow along the bottom of the boiler..

Are you thinking about pumping while mashing or pumping while distilling?

It seems like you could run some piping from the bottom to the top with a pump inline to do this while distilling. Bad idea?

• 4 years later...

IM also interested in where to get a good agitator.  Just got a quote from Fusion Fluid Mixers and a mixer for a 55 gal mash tank, variable speed, was over 5000 bucks.  And Id like to have 4 of them.  Way over budget.  Mile Hi sells a fusion agitator but they've been out of stock for over a year, thought it'd be cheaper to go to the source but not the case...

A link to a 110v variable speed agitator with 2" triclamp fittings that'll turn corn mash at the thickest, wort at the thinnest and all for a low low cost would be my opinion of a dream reply. Maybe Im dreaming to hard...

Chris

If you are looking to agitate inside your still you will have to spend some money.

I made the mistake of going on the cheap and getting a mixer from Mixers Direct for my still.  I think it cost about $3,500 for the still mixer.  The mixer broke down within a year as it's construction was poor and the seals went out.  In retrospect it was basically a motor, a gear drive and a simple flange/seal--a very poor and dangerous design as there's no air gap between the still and the mixer itself.

I then bought a mixer from Braun, I think it cost about $6,000 and has been rock solid and has been used almost 7 days a week for the past year and a half.  Every single part of the mixer is a large improvement from what MXD sold me.

If you're just looking to agitate a 55g drum for mash, find a used lightnin (that's how the company spells it) mixer on ebay.

• Thumbs up 1

Thanks Skaalvenn.  I started looking more into the quote for the mixer that Fusion gave me.  It says "55 gallon mixer to deliver 8.1 tank turnovers per minute with a bulk fluid velocity of 17.26 FT/Min.  The smaller tank mixer is sized for 15.8 tank turnovers per minute with a bulk fluid velocity of 26.42 Ft/Min. "

Question: Ive looked up Bulk fluid velocity and didn't get far.  This mixer is obviously more powerful than the one mile hi sells as its 4 time the price.  Is this mixer over kill?  I know everyone uses different quantities of grain but does any one have viscosity numbers or fluid velocity numbers for average corn mash, or thick corn mash?

Any further help would be appreciated.

Chris

I'm sorry but I can't help out much more.  I had the owner/engineer of a Brawn supplier come take a look at my tank, the application and he did all the science for me.  I have no clue what the numbers are other than what is stamped on the machine and what the bottom line of the invoice said.

One thing that you guys should keep in mind is that you need a low rpm (less than 100rpm) agitator with large paddles and lots of torque if you are going to be doing grain in mashes.  If you need an agitator just email Paul@distillery-equipment.com and we can set you right up.

Braun is the creme de la creme, semi-custom built. The owner is the design engineer, he can customize for your needs, but they assembled from standardized components kept in stock in the factory. I have visited them in Holland, MI, and he is dedicated to his company and product. I think he is now the standard supplier of the agitator used by Vendome, after convincing them it wasn't worth making their own. I can attest as well, that many people end up burning through another brand, and replacing with Braun.