6 or 12 bottle cases

Those of you currently operating, can you lend your opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of using 6 or 12 bottle cases. Do distributors have a bias? Are smaller cases easier at the beginning for the cost of getting it on a new shelf, etc. Just looking for some opinions.

thanks,

Rick

For Oregon distillers it's not a hard choice, we're charged a flat fee per case by our control state. So, having more in a case is cost effective. If you're state does not have a flat fee per case, then I'd go with a 6 pack due to your mentioned points.

It's called a stocking "case fee" and it's $14.45 per case. Same fee for a case of 6 or 12 bottles... so best be 12. This is not the tax, just the privilege of them having your case in their distribution hub. Consider it their distribution charge, it makes it more palatable.

We are in the process of making our first case, so we have yet to work through all the particulars with them. So, Brad at Oregon Spirit Distillers could elaborate more on the subject.

But, it all pretty much comes down to the state taking half of the sale. Having 12 in a case will net you an extra $7.22 when compared to 6 bottles in a case.

The standard 9 liter case has little to do with choosing a 6 or 12 pack. The 9 liter case counting is the same for sales in all volumes of bottle, from 50 ml to 1.75 L.

This decision to use 6 or 12 packs is highly personalized. That said, 12 packs are expected so that's a safe choice unless your product is ridiculously expensive.

I was considering switching one of my products to a 6 pack just because it is so heavy. My distributor preferred I stay with 12 packs. Decision made.

Some distributors charge a "case splitting" fee to sell less than case amounts. One mentioned it would be more cost effective and we would likely sell more if we went with 6 because retailers don't like paying this fee, which could be upwards of $10. Check with distributors before making your decision.

Todd

In the "real" world over the past 6 years of distribution both ourselves and with major distributors and as a past small liquor store owner, at least 80% of sales goes to small liquor stores which rarely ever purchase in case quantities. They all factor in the "broken case" charges. It cannot be helped. This is partly why small stores have a larger shelve pricing than discount type stores. We have always used 12 bottle cases. Coop

I use 6-bottle cases. When dealing with smaller ABC stores (here in NC they're run by local governments) it's an easier sell to get them to try out the product, which will often lead to larger sales later.

12-bottle cases would save us a bit on shipping and cardboard I suppose, but the bottles come packaged in 6-packs already, so that also greatly simplifies things.