Boiler Piping and Installation

brandon8198

We are in the process of setting up our steam boiler and will be using it for heating our still and direct steam injection of our mash tank. Can anyone recommend a boiler consultant that could help us with our setup? We have already sourced our boiler and just need expertise with the installation.

Can anyone provide me with recommendations on some regular basics; such as boiler location for proximity to the still, material of the piping, water softening and filtration...ect.

Thanks,

Brandon

You pretty much have to go "local" to someone who knows local codes, and with luck has done a distillery or brewery. What State (or city) are you locating the still, and I'll let you know if my associates have anyone nearby.

will be using it for heating our still and direct steam injection of our mash tank.

I am far from an expert on this, but I picked up from one of the boiler guys I had quote my project that direct injection of steam may require a different type of boiler. He called it a "process boiler" and implied that it was larger and more heavy duty because the boiler is constantly heating fresh cold water rather than heating the already hot condensate return. I ended up not going with this guy because none of my equipment was setup for direct steam injection (my still and mash tun have jackets or plates to exchange the heat). The process boiler he recommended was much more expensive than the typical closed loop type that I needed and went with. Not sure what he was thinking when he recommended this for my setup as I clearly indicated my tanks had condensate returns, vs direct injection..

And just another .02 cents here: get several estimates if you are able. And get references. We had two radically different installers/fitters price our job. You would not believe the difference if I told you.

On location, remember venting, power, water, (possible) walling-off requirements for the unit. Every state (and municipality) has different regs on steam boiler stuff, so the earlier advice to "'go local" is probably the best tidbit here.

Hi Brandon,

Being a S.F. Bay guy as well...I would VERY highly recommend contacting CAL Steam here in the city for purchase, and I would suggest giving City Mechanical a call for install or a referral for someone more local to you. I've used them for several boiler installs.