Baverian Holstein Stills

coop

For those of you who have a Bavarian Holstein still I was wondering if any of you are or have had problems with the brass fittings connecting the CIP cleaning system to the still columns. I have had two of them crack and leak after about 8 months of operation. I think their is a flaw with them where maybe the pump is putting out too much pressure on the fitting when the heated cleaning solution is being pumped through it. Any thoughts??? Coop

Hello Coop,

I haven't , yet. Do you still run off the manifold one section at a time? Remember, we started to burn (smoke) trippers at the electrical board because the pump was drawing to much power to push against pressure of not enough flow through only one section. We now cip with 2 sections open at a time. Lower pressure at spray units. I think Arizona does also. At least at the Pot and helmut.

Did that sound correct? A long day.

Good luck and Happy Repeal Day.

Bob

We have not had any problems yet but the idea of cleaning two sections at a time to reduce pressures makes sense. I also wonder if maybe the temp of the cleaning fluid could be too hot and the two different metals are heating up at different speeds?

We heat to about 150F when cleaning the still and columns. Hope this helps.

We have not had any problems yet but the idea of cleaning two sections at a time to reduce pressures makes sense. I also wonder if maybe the temp of the cleaning fluid could be too hot and the two different metals are heating up at different speeds?

We heat to about 150F when cleaning the still and columns. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your quick responses. I do have at least two valves open at one time and open another section before closing off the one I just cleaned. I also clean at 130F to 140F. I have noticed that while running the pump the supply hose from the still tends to collapse when it heats up and becomes soft. This I think should be changed to a reinforced hose thus assuring a full supply of water to the pump. Thanks again, Coop

Thanks for your quick responses. I do have at least two valves open at one time and open another section before closing off the one I just cleaned. I also clean at 130F to 140F. I have noticed that while running the pump the supply hose from the still tends to collapse when it heats up and becomes soft. This I think should be changed to a reinforced hose thus assuring a full supply of water to the pump. Thanks again, Coop

AH owners,

I was looking at a related problem to this one today. The over pressure and subsequent thermal overload can easily be fixed. I drew a 3rd grade P&ID version of this in paint on my computer in 5 minutes and will explain how this works for anyone that would like the info. Give me a call or drop me a line on my web site. It uses a PRV to control the pump outlet pressure. it jsut cycles back to teh CIP tank, or to drain/floor...your choice. I'd recycle it so it is not a waste. As for the inlet to the pump, I'd consider ridgid, a little more work to get it run, but worth the assurance the your pumps won't deadhead and burnout.