Storing low wines

crazyhorse67

Hello, My name is Doug and I'm a rookie. We are about to open a Distillery in "Canada" in a local wine growing area. Our idea is to take advantage of the locally produced grape pressings (when available) to make some of our products. Are low wines stable enough to store, if oxygen is minimized? or will they "go off ". I was thinking of renting additional stainless tanks during this time for storage. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I have to agree.

It might oxidize and Help the taste some. oxidation of wine and low wines which have been distilled are two different animals. In spirits, you want to and there is no reson not to encourage oxidation.

Yeah those Letina tanks from St Pats are awfully affordable too, when compared to most other manufacture/brokers. You can get an 80 gallon on wheels, variable capacity, sample port, bla bla bla for just a bit more than a brand new stainless drum in 55g !! I'm guessing the variable capacity ones might not be good for high proof with the rubber gasket system in the lid? Guessing? Nice closed lid ones for that though. Scrounge

Yeah those Letina tanks from St Pats are awfully affordable too, when compared to most other manufacture/brokers. You can get an 80 gallon on wheels, variable capacity, sample port, bla bla bla for just a bit more than a brand new stainless drum in 55g !! I'm guessing the variable capacity ones might not be good for high proof with the rubber gasket system in the lid? Guessing? Nice closed lid ones for that though. Scrounge

The Letina tanks are a pain to use and do flex after a while, but work just fine. Even with higher proof.

We are happy with the Letina tanks for storage of either low wines or spirit. Used the closed, not variable, units. No problem with our shipments from St. Pats. Only thing we did was replace the plastic fill gauge with a glass one from McMasters.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased this Letina tank for bottling:

LETINA Closed Top Tanks--Conical Bottom— wine storage / ZR 620 / 620 Liters / 165 gallons

I then filled the tank, marking every 5 gallons on the sight glass. I topped out at 154 gallons filled to the brim.

So do you think this Letina tank is smaller than the advertised 165 gallons, or is my volume calibration off? Thoughts?

post-3967-0-15957100-1391116019_thumb.jp

Betcha the people advertising it didn't have the energy to calculate the true volume of a cone...and that's probably where the 10 or so discrepancy came from.

Then again, what did you use for volumetric accuracy with your water? Typically, I use a volumetric flask, which is why it takes me so d**n long to calibrate my gauges. One quick dodge is to paste a tape measure strip beside/on/behind your manometer and have a chart that shows you how much volume you have at what measurement. It's a good place to use metric, too....millimeters are so much more linear than fractions!

Works well because you can have a conversion chart for each tank. I used this on a fleet of 60 HL conical fermenters...despite all coming from the same company, the volume of the tanks varied considerably, with the largest holding almost 64 gallons more than the smallest at the dish weld.

Hard to tell but I would lean toward faulty calibration. Try calculating the volume as a cylinder. It should be within a couple gal of actual size

hard to calculate its volume based on measurements what with the man-way and sloped bottom and all. Ill give it a try tomorrow with the old sewing tape measure though..

I used a cheap plastic flow meter to measure the volume of my water.. (you can see the thing in the photo I posted attached to the hose) I did/do not expect it to be perfect, but I tested it at 5 gallons and it was spot on. I would not be shocked if it was off, but would be if it was 10 gallons off over 145 gallons..