Designing my own still

wigglywalker

I have also heard of a low-tech steam injection using a beer keg.....but it involves using direct flame under the keg.

How about a hot water boiler? They are really cheap on craigslist. Steam boilers just don't come up, too specialized I guess. There were a lot of houses built around here with hot water radiant floor heating, and many owners don't like them, so $3,000 boilers are selling for $250.

What is the heat source for these $250 boilers?

If it is a diesel burner they are very easy to convert to run on waste veg oil or motor oil, so VERY cheap to run

Either buy a new waste burner from China for about $600 or buy the parts and convert the original burner.

I run all my distillery on waste veg oil, direct fired still and hot water + low pressure steam

These boilers are natural gas and propane....but,,,waste oil eh? I happen to have a restaurant, with deep fryers....even so, this is not a lot of fuel, only about 10 to 15 gallons a week. I could make a deal with some more restaurants as fuel needs increased...bottle of whiskey for 50 gallons of used fryer oil sounds about right....thanks for the idea.

PeteB, If you don't mind please, what is your waste fuel consumption and your liquor production, over say, an average month? I don't have access to natural gas, and propane is about 3 times more expensive. I am very concerned with fuel costs. Your idea would be both economically and environmentally beneficial. Typical fuel costs for small distilleries here in New Mexico seem to be running from $350 to $750 a month on natural gas for steam boilers from 400k btus to 1,500k btus. I pay $22 for 5 gallons of quality canola oil for my deep fryers. That's just over $4 a gallon, not much more than diesel. I could change my fryers more often,,,,increase food quality, and stockpile used oil during months when the distillery isn't doing much, like dead of winter or heat of summer. I found waste oil steam boilers on Alibaba. This is a very interesting idea, thank you.

The fuel costs me nothing (except 2 miles on my biofuelled tractor to collect it) so I have never bothered to do the maths.

VERY roughly it takes 1 litre of fryer oil to make one 700 mL bottle of 40%abv spirit. It should be roughly the same as using diesel except there is a bit of basic filtering to do. I double pot distil and I would assume a single run in a column still would use less fuel.

Allow a bit of extra room for storage tanks

My Son is setting up a brewery near my distillery and he has a waste oil steam boiler lined up.

I prefer waste veg oil but they run just as well on waste motor oil or just about any liquid that will burn, including heads if the proof is high enough

****Waste motor oil burns visibly cleanly but check with local air pollution regulations*****

Another rough number that's in my head

1 US gallon per hour will produce about 40KW of heat

• 3 weeks later...

You should use no less than .12 or 1/8th inch thick copper. Your going to have allot of weight in the pot when it is full.

If you need help building this contact us matt@hbscopper . We can build the entire system or parts for you.

SO, I bought a 150K BTU water boiler, already jetted for propane, for $175. With new circulation pump. Rated for 250 degrees F. I plan on putting it right next to the 100 gallon SS still, in a firewall type box vented to the outside with outside combustion air. I will build the top out of 16 ga/48oz copper which I found in Tucson at Industrial Metal Supply. Very cool place. Like a welder in a candy store....I am sure this will work. BUT, I have plans for a 250 gallon stripper still, and I have my doubts if it will work for that. I may have to find a bigger boiler....These water boilers are easy to find cheap, but not the steam boilers.....

• 2 weeks later...

If your mounting your head on the top of this just consider how much it weighs. We use 96 0z copper on ours with a 4 plate 6" column. It sounds like if you have any problems you can fix them yourself though. That does make a difference. As a manufacturer we have to make sure that we over build because We intend for our stills to last a lifetime with many years of service.

If you can build your own this may not be of as much concern, Good luck and have fun. It's a great thing to build anything and know that you did that.