Stripping still?

ny_spirits

We are considering purchasing a stripping still to save distillation time. Our current still is 400 liters, and works well for 2nd and 3rd distillations but is not terribly efficient for the initial distillation of fermented product (at about 10% ABV). Our only concern is whether it will change the quality of the finished product. Its hard to imagine it would, but then again, it would be an expensive mistake to make...

Any thoughts?

We are considering purchasing a stripping still to save distillation time. Our current still is 400 liters, and works well for 2nd and 3rd distillations but is not terribly efficient for the initial distillation of fermented product (at about 10% ABV). Our only concern is whether it will change the quality of the finished product. Its hard to imagine it would, but then again, it would be an expensive mistake to make...

Any thoughts?

PAUL,

I couple of companies are working of inexpensive stripping still. Im sure when they are up and running you will see it announced on the forum.

Double Distilling produces a better product. My book talks about this.

Fast 150+ runs strip out flavor.

bill@distilling.com

Any thoughts?

We recently added a stripping still to our operation. Our product has not changed at all. Both stills are from the same builder, Carl. By adding a stripping still we tripled our capacity.

Don

We recently added a stripping still to our operation. Our product has not changed at all. Both stills are from the same builder, Carl. By adding a stripping still we tripled our capacity.

Don

Is your new stripping still simply a clone of your existing stills? Or is it a straight pot still, while the other CC stills are reflux stills?

Love your packaging btw, Don.

Is your new stripping still simply a clone of your existing stills? Or is it a straight pot still, while the other CC stills are reflux stills?

Love your packaging btw, Don.

A hybrid. 475 liter pot with a 4 plate column on top. We can disengage the plates to operate as a straight pot still.

Thanks for the kind words on our packaging. Our design firm has won numerous awards for the work they did.

Don

I have a six plate CC from '02. Such wonderful and very flexible stills, don't you think?.....and the Planks are just super people.

We have a new, 750 liter regular ol' potstill arriving in early spring from Vendome to handle stripping. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

If you're ever in Denver, please look us up, Don. Some good trout up this way, you know.

Hello,

A stripping still is like finding money, lots of it. If you have invested a good deal of money on your main still, you have an investment to protect. By using your all or mostly copper still for stripping runs you are using up the useful life. an all or mostly stainless still will take the rigorous runs of stripping your product for years. it is not your finishing still, therefore there is no need for cuts, no need for copper to remove sulfer, just simply stripping the alcohol and flavor out of your mash and moving it on to the rectifying runs with your finishing still. we are in the process of building the first of the 220's now. it is a dimple sheet steam jacketed stripping still. It is ready for purchase immediately, it will be ready to ship around mid-february. I would be glad to discuss this and our other equipment like our 250 gallon mash tun and gravity feed granular activated carbon filters.

So my two cents is a high thumbs up to a stripping still, whether from us or others.