Wow... I'll never do that again

Bcproduct

It seems like this area does not get a lot of posting BUT, safety is important. This is a general question, but from all of you that are currently operating... You must have a "wow, that was lucky" story where you made a change in your set up, equipment or process to avoid hurting yourself or damaging equipment, facility, guests touring the plant.... Care to share?

• 2 weeks later...

Just spit on it, it will look different. haha. I am always amazed when people reach out and touch stills... even in distiller classes, its kinda like the darwin awards. "It boiling water, (reach out and touch with hand), OH MY GOD, THATS HOT!"

Don't errogantly carry glass carboys, its ok to buy one of those straps to lift it. Accidents happen, glass and spilled liquor don't mix well.

Drive into something with the forklift because it was easier to lift the load over the obstacle than to make a 3 point turn, then forget to lower it fast enough to clean a high wall opening. (Not get in a hurry in a forklift)

there has been many a time that I've seen the the "neck" of a glass carboy snap off, because someone picked it up from the neck instead of the bottom.

I've also seen someone slice the hell out of their hand trying to catch a carboy with the neck snapped off, while falling through the air.

if you must use glass for collection or storage, move it around on a cart, don't carry or lift while full. Huge potential for accident, injury and fire.

• 3 weeks later...

We just threw out our last glass carboy and have switched over to SS kegs. We're so over broken carboys, lost product and close calls with big hunks of sharp glass. Plus, the floor sealant we purchased said it could withstand ethanol... I beg to differ.