100 Percent Corn Mash

mission5

Thanks Dehner & fldme. So if I had ratio of 3:1 corn to water add amylase enzyme (ratio?), then I should have a mash that converts to fermentable sugars? If I distill and age in new charred oak, my end product will be 100% corn bourbon? If I age in used or uncharted oak I have corn whiskey as end product - yes?

Thanks Dehner & fldme. So if I had ratio of 3:1 corn to water add amylase enzyme (ratio?), then I should have a mash that converts to fermentable sugars? If I distill and age in new charred oak, my end product will be 100% corn bourbon? If I age in used or uncharted oak I have corn whiskey as end product - yes?

Yes.

Consult with enzyme vendors on best application of enzymes (quantity, temps, etc.).

Hey Mission 5,

Commercial enzymes would probably be the easiest way to go when converting 100% corn mashes.

However, I do believe there are some distillers that actually malt their corn fully or partially to activate the natural enzyme content in the corn, and use that to convert their mash. How feasible that is, and how efficient it is, I am not familiar with (gee I wonder why?), but some people do accomplish conversions with malted corn.

Cheers!

SpecZyme

• 2 years later...