Naming the still.

trinacria

I've noticed a few distilleries have mentioned their named stills on their webpage and was curious if this is commonplace/tradition? I would think it would be (I certainly plan on doing so when I get up and running) but hey, could just be me. For those of you who have named your still would you mind sharing the name and how you came to pick it?

considering for most distillers their still is the "other Woman", many have been affectionately named.

still working the name out for My 30 gallon proofing still, I haven't had opportunity to get to know her yet, since we're waiting on the new building to run her, but she is pretty and definitely a classy lady.

My little other little still is the "Red Headed Stepchild" as it has operated as a test rig to prove different principles, or test prototype parts. its been beaten and abused thoroughly.

all other stills I've run have been someone else's, or were being tested before being sent off to someone else. we've had several prototype systems, but once they proved out we never kept them around long enough to get attached.

There's a time honored tradition of naming your equipment after Star Wars characters. Other sci fi movies are also acceptable...

Or C3P0...or even Jabba the Hutt (which is what we named our storage tote).

I might just have them put "Red Leader" on my business cards....

Corny yes but if it have meaning behind it than it is cool.

At Turkey Shore Distilleries we names all 4 fermenters after the original 4 owners over time that were involved in the distillery located in Ipswich from 1770-1835.

I was to pay respect to the first guys to run the distillery in Turkey Shore Rd where Mat an I both grew up.

We did a short interactive Facebook campaign to name our still. It got people engaged and interested; it also followed our theme of a distillery with community input. All of the names had to be Minnesota or Northland themed. The name that won out was "Zelda" (Wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald, a proud, dead, Minnesotan and, literally a "link to the past").

I think this kind of consumer interaction is golden. That said, you have to be willing to accept what the crowd comes up with. We put parameters on it to keep things from getting too crazy.

We did a short interactive Facebook campaign to name our still. It got people engaged and interested; it also followed our theme of a distillery with community input. All of the names had to be Minnesota or Northland themed. The name that won out was "Zelda" (Wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald, a proud, dead, Minnesotan and, literally a "link to the past").

I think this kind of consumer interaction is golden. That said, you have to be willing to accept what the crowd comes up with. We put parameters on it to keep things from getting too crazy.

Very clever idea! Setting some ground rules/limits definitely is a good idea when doing such a thing. Though Im sure that didn't stop some from submitting some, shall we say, colorful submissions.

Very clever idea! Setting some ground rules/limits definitely is a good idea when doing such a thing. Though Im sure that didn't stop some from submitting some, shall we say, colorful submissions.

One guy sent in over 20 submissions and all of them were "colorful."

• 4 weeks later...

I designed a 40ft x3 continuous vodka production column system

the final rectification column had a great big copper cross condenser on it, looked like a big hammer.

we referred to it internally as Mjolnir.

Perhaps a bit predictable but at 40" in diameter and 40ft tall, it really did look like the hammer of the gods.

I just named my new proofing tanks Luke and Leia. The milk can receivers are collectively "the droids." I was going to name the still the death star, but I think I'll save that one. Pallet jack is my Land Speeder. Looking for ideas for the forklift...my low wines receiver already has Jabba, so that's taken.