Purchaing Hydrometers

Jessica Jewell

I tried to purchase TTB approved hydrometers yesterday, only to find that "R" size can not easily be shipped because it is listed as a hazardous material. To have it shipped from one of the two companies I tried (Fisher Scientific and Cole Parmer), both places required a full blown account to be set up, which can take days to process. Does anyone have a reliable, hassle free lab equipment supply company that stocks TTB approved instruments they would be willing to recommend?

http://www.novatech-usa.com/Products/Alcoh...rometers/6613-R

I don't know what the hazardous material might be, but many use lead as the metal for the weight.

If you need to have your hydrometer calibrated, I suggest calling the customer help/order desk to specifically make that order. And that will take some time because they need to ship the hydro to the calibration service, and then to you. They may be able to recommend a calibration service near you.

If this hydrometer is being used for proofing spirits for tax determination it needs to be calibrated for maximum accuracy.

I tried to purchase TTB approved hydrometers yesterday, only to find that "R" size can not easily be shipped because it is listed as a hazardous material. To have it shipped from one of the two companies I tried (Fisher Scientific and Cole Parmer), both places required a full blown account to be set up, which can take days to process. Does anyone have a reliable, hassle free lab equipment supply company that stocks TTB approved instruments they would be willing to recommend?

Hi Jessica,

Try this link:

http://www.novatech-usa.com/

NovaTech carries Bellwether hydrometers in any range of proof that you may need. I obtained the 60 to 80 proof, and the 80 to 120 proof from this supplier, and both were $37.50 each. No account necessary. The hazardous material is the mercury found in hydrometers that also feature a thermometer to compensate for temperature variances, as hydrometers for spirits are only accurate at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. An adjustment factor can also be done mathematically and most gauging manuals have a section on this.

Good luck,

Rusty