Heads volume : efficiency ?

ryankf

Probably...the amounts of so-called "byproducts" of fermentation (things other than alcohol or CO2) vary from batch to batch based on a huge number of variables...fermentation temperature, secondary infections, health of yeast inoculation, glycogen uptake, secondary fermentations, grain or fruit crop characteristics, chemicals from cleaning, mash temperature...it goes on. Any or all of these things can contribute to what organoleptics are produced in your fermentation.

If you are fermenting the same thing, made the same way everytime, in a closed fermenter with the same batch of dry yeast...and your head volumes vary widely, I'd suggest re-calibrating your nose or drinking less coffee before your run :P:P

What exactly are you asking?

What exactly are you asking?

...if as we get better at our established process and recipe (no changes in formulation, enzymes, temps, or cleaning) and our efficiencies go up, all be it slightly, will we also notice an increase in the volume of heads we cut?

any reliable formula out there for calculating?

Not that I know of...my experience has been that your head volumes will stay pretty consistent. However, as you tweak your process you may become better at condensing your heads during your equilibrium period...and that will reduce the volume.

If you are running a computer program, it might make an interesting study over time. I'd certainly be interested to know if you can find a correlation between your mash and ferm efficiencies and your head volumes.

However, I'd bet that your real reduction will be in the total quantity of fusels in your tails...which would be hard to measure without more equipment than the knowledge is worth :-P

• 4 weeks later...

Funny ya'll should mention this. We've been collecting data from mash to still output for about 100 runs so far. Determining ratios of hearts/feints we yield, and making tweaks based on slight variations of the mash/ferment, pHs, temps, hold windows, and distill protocols, etc. Coupled with a pretty strict cuts regimen (sensory driven, with the noses and tastes of three people, so it's not gonna be perfect, just good), we're finding a $hitpotload of efficiency in our process over time. And ever-improving tasting spirit as we're dialing-in our process.

If you have the inclination, i suggest start collecting every datapoint you can and build a model that will let you experiment in improving quality and yield throughout how you make your spirit. I think it's worth the time.