Belated Introduction

My name is Tom Cooper AKA Coop in Colorado. I am 60 years old with past ties to the South, Arkansas and Missouri. My uncle who was a share cropper introduced me to moonshine when I was in my teens and have been hooked ever sense. I am half owner in Colorado Gold Distillery in Cedaredge Colorado. My partner who is in the carpet business are moving from a small 7.5 gallon still to the one we have now which is a Bavarian/Holstein. 300L steam fired still with 28 plate two column still. It has the capability of making Vodka, Gin, Whiskey and a fine brandy, that is if we ever figure everything out. NO OPERATING instructions came with it but after two weeks of playing around just about have it figured out (we think). Jumping from 7.5 gallons to a 240 gallon mash kettle is proving harder that I thought. We are gaining each time we make a batch. Small steps but who could just run before learning to walk :blink: . I was using a yeast from Gearhourt Strand ,I am sure the spelling is wrong on that on, before and now trying to use the SuperStart from White Labs. Not sure about this yeast as alcohol conversions are not as high as I am use to. But time will tell. I have been glad for all the help and advice I have been given.

Coop

My name is Tom Cooper AKA Coop in Colorado. I am 60 years old with past ties to the South, Arkansas and Missouri. My uncle who was a share cropper introduced me to moonshine when I was in my teens and have been hooked ever sense. I am half owner in Colorado Gold Distillery in Cedaredge Colorado. My partner who is in the carpet business are moving from a small 7.5 gallon still to the one we have now which is a Bavarian/Holstein. 300L steam fired still with 28 plate two column still. It has the capability of making Vodka, Gin, Whiskey and a fine brandy, that is if we ever figure everything out. NO OPERATING instructions came with it but after two weeks of playing around just about have it figured out (we think). Jumping from 7.5 gallons to a 240 gallon mash kettle is proving harder that I thought. We are gaining each time we make a batch. Small steps but who could just run before learning to walk :blink: . I was using a yeast from Gearhourt Strand ,I am sure the spelling is wrong on that on, before and now trying to use the SuperStart from White Labs. Not sure about this yeast as alcohol conversions are not as high as I am use to. But time will tell. I have been glad for all the help and advice I have been given.

Coop

P.S. I would like to add photo but cannot seam to figure out how to do it. Help. Coop <_<

Coop

Coop- is your Bavarian/Holstein new from the makers or used? They didn't provide any training or service? If so then that's ridiculous!

I know the folks at Christian Carle and they provide great training.

What yeast are you using for what product? Rum, whiskey, vodka, eau de vie really work better with specific yeasts. Vodkas and some whiskey work well with turbos. There is rum turbo and also some rum specific yeasts like Danstil 493. Eau de vie is supposed to be great when you use Danstil CM. (I am trying to track it down. Danstil is a Lallemande yeast)

To add a photo- look at the top of the post panel at the icons. The one that looks like a small painting is for inserting an image.

Coop- is your Bavarian/Holstein new from the makers or used? They didn't provide any training or service? If so then that's ridiculous!

I know the folks at Christian Carle and they provide great training.

What yeast are you using for what product? Rum, whiskey, vodka, eau de vie really work better with specific yeasts. Vodkas and some whiskey work well with turbos. There is rum turbo and also some rum specific yeasts like Danstil 493. Eau de vie is supposed to be great when you use Danstil CM. (I am trying to track it down. Danstil is a Lallemande yeast)

To add a photo- look at the top of the post panel at the icons. The one that looks like a small painting is for inserting an image.

It is new. Have talked with them several times but my German is not so good and their english is not so good. The still is really self explaining if you have any distilling knowledge at all. Process is the same just different equipment. Getting better with it each time. Coop