Credit card readers

I've been exploring the mobile credit card readers that plug into a phone/tablet for the tasting room. Currently, Minnesota doesn't allow distillers to sell spirits at the distillery, so it would be for apparel sales after a tour.

My question is if anyone has had experience with these. I was attempting to set up an account with Intuit's Go Payment, but received an email that was pretty vague in that they couldn't provide it, due to the products or services that I sell.

Just curious if anyone else is using this, either by Intuit, Pay Pal, or Square. As well as your thoughts on them.

We use Square, which works well. I like that they automatically deposit the charges into our bank account promptly. The readers aren't very durable; they stop working pretty regularly. However, Square sends replacement readers at no charge.

Also using Square. We have the Square stand (works with full size iPad), connected cash drawer, receipt printer and then also a iPad mini with the plug in reader as well. We do drinks and cocktails so the only thing I don't like about it is that you can not "start a tab" for someone and add to it along the way. Nor can you print a receipt that the customer signs/tips on; they must sign and tip on the screen. This is why we got the mini in addition to the register stand so we could allow people to pay at the bar without walking all the way around the bar to the register.

Setup is easy, rates are good and payment is quick. So, not perfect for a bar setup, but awesome if not.

My bar tenders also like the tip prompt/suggestion screen as some folks just automatically click 15% tip even when just purchasing a bottle. :huh:

Thanks for the feedback. I figured Go Payment might someday integrate completely with Quickbooks, which is why I was looking at it. I've heard good things about Square from the local taprooms, so will be going with them, since apparently selling tshirts with a distillery logo violates Intuit's sensibilities.

++++ on the tip button Hedgebird !!!... 90% of our customers tip even when buying a bottle !!! awesome feature .... And Wandernorth , Gopayment is sort of integrated but it kind of dumps the data in and doesn't really identify it ... Really tough to reconcile your books .....

We have been using SalesVu for a couple of years now. It works like Square, but has a lot of features that Square does not. You can open a tab at the bar. We can sell cocktails here in Michigan. It also has great inventory control features as well as being able to integrate it with Quickbooks. You are not charged more for manual inputs and the rate is .05% less than Square. The company that manages the credit card transactions is Mercury Payments, who I found out is the largest CC processor in the U.S. Great customer service, automatic batching, and money is in the account quickly. We have four iPads in the tasting room. Two at the bar and two at the register all with drawers and register attached. Seamless setup. Being in rural Northern Michigan, the customers are enthralled with signing on the iPad as many have never done it before. Oh, the app is free.

• 1 year later...