Useing organic ingedients

The answer is yes if you are producing, bottling, or doing anything with the product apart from slapping a label on an unlabeled full bottle. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can do it as long as the product itself (not just it's ingredients) has already been certified organic by the USDA and was produced elsewhere.

But beware the USDA has specific label requirements for organic products that will also have to be dealt with by COLA.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5106357

I suggest you contact your local department of agriculture for more information on how to certify/label an organic product.

However I can tell you that you will need to provide the following items with your application to the USDA for organic certification if you decide to produce an organic spirit.

1. Organic Operator Agreement

2. Organic System Plan

3. Organic Fee Form and Organic Sales Summary

4. Organic Product Summary

5. Organic Product Formulation Form

You can expect the following fees:

1. Application Fee - $250

2. Facility Fee - $200 (recurring annually)

3. Income Fee - 3/10 of 1% of your gross annual income up to 1 million dollars. (recurring annually)

We are going through this process right now so I'd be happy to answer whatever questions I can but I can tell you that the certification process takes pretty much as long as your DSP application process does.

I'm thinking I read on ttb site some info on doing "made with organic ingredients" or some similar statements, that don't require any application fees or run around. Look on they're web site, I'm certain they addressed "organic" statements for distilled spirits. Scrounge

• 4 weeks later...

Being an organic product producer, I can tell you that Salishseaorganic offers you the correct answer.

You cannot made an organic product solely by using organic ingredients. The entire production process and equipment must be inspected following application by an organic Certifier (and there are several).

This is in addition to the steps he listed. I have found there are State resources who will provide great assistance in understanding this process and assisting you greatly, at no cost. They want to promote and stimulate development in your state.

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2014 at 0:00 PM, Salishseaorganicliqueurs said:

You can expect the following fees:

1. Application Fee - $250

2. Facility Fee - $200 (recurring annually)

3. Income Fee - 3/10 of 1% of your gross annual income up to 1 million dollars. (recurring annually)

Does that 3/10 of 1% apply to everything you make or just the products that are certified organic?

Thanks.