F1 Occupancy Compliance

agporte

For those of you out there operating in an F1 Occupancy (without sprinklers). What size still do you have? And how do you abide by MAQs? What size barrels do you use?

The way I see it is that there is no way to justify having a still with a capacity larger than 150 gal. Anything larger and the 30 gallon limit will be exceeded while proofing. This also limits the barrel size to 15 gallons for the same reason. Am I on the right track?

If you're going to the ADI conference, there is a session on Dealing with City and County codes to Build a Distillery with Scott Moore and Brad Emerick of Dalkita Architecture.

Scott is extremely well versed in code compliance within F1 usage - He's the man you'll want to consult with.

If you're going to the ADI conference, there is a session on Dealing with City and County codes to Build a Distillery with Scott Moore and Brad Emerick of Dalkita Architecture.

Scott is extremely well versed in code compliance within F1 usage - He's the man you'll want to consult with.

Unfortunately I'm not going to make it to this years conference. Hopefully next year.

I see they have a pdf avaiable:

http://www.dalkita.com/products/

Has anyone purchased this and care to comment. If not I'll pull the trigger and let you guys know how it is.

Barrels are exempt. But yes its a fine line to stay within the 30 gallon open limit.

Luckily I was able to convince our fire inspector that closed barrels are exempt. So my plans are not completely squashed yet. But I'm curious how someone would drain and proof a 30gal barrel without exceeding the 30 gal limit. Could it be done in two steps using an intermediate closed vessel?

Luckily I was able to convince our fire inspector that closed barrels are exempt. So my plans are not completely squashed yet. But I'm curious how someone would drain and proof a 30gal barrel without exceeding the 30 gal limit. Could it be done in two steps using an intermediate closed vessel?

I'm in the same boat with my fire inspector. I drain my 30g barrels into 15 gallon tanks (old sanke kegs) which can be closed off with 2" triclamp caps to stay within MAQ's. The key is to bottle immediately.

A bargaining chip you might want to consider throwing out there to your inspector to allow for some leeway... installing an ethanol vapor detector.

I'm in the same boat with my fire inspector. I drain my 30g barrels into 15 gallon tanks (old sanke kegs) which can be closed off with 2" triclamp caps to stay within MAQ's. The key is to bottle immediately.

A bargaining chip you might want to consider throwing out there to your inspector to allow for some leeway... installing an ethanol vapor detector.

Good call on the detector I'll definitely look into that. Do you have yours linked to the fire department?

And you don't have any over-pressure protection on the sanke when you close it (like a relief valve) right? Just tri-clamp the top and go.

Anyone have any suggestion as to where to get an ethanol vapor detector? and I second Agporte's question, does it have to be linked to the fire department?

Looks like it was previously discussed here.

http://adiforums.com/index.php?showtopic=2520

Looks like these guys may have one as well:

http://www.crowcon.com/industries-and-applications/winery-and-brewery-industries.html