Supplier reviews not welcome on ADIforums.com

grehorst

I've got to wonder how much business a company loses because of isolated customer experiences being portrayed as if they are the norm.

Exactly.

I understand the desire to keep the forums open to any responsible and balanced vendor review. The suggestions for criteria are all good, but the fact is who has time to judge that? Sorry, Not me, I have a distillery to run and there is just too much potential for abuse.

Exactly.

I understand the desire to keep the forums open to any responsible and balanced vendor review. The suggestions for criteria are all good, but the fact is who has time to judge that? Sorry, Not me, I have a distillery to run and there is just too much potential for abuse.

Sorry if I'm overstepping here, but perhaps this forum has grown too big for only two active moderators to manage. Perhaps it's time to promote a few more so that stress is taken off of you and the forum is allowed to grow and to continue to benefit all it's members? Seems like it'd be a win-win situation for everyone.

The whole thing just seems odd. ADI should be here to help support this growing community of legitimate business and craftspeople. I spent 10 years in the biodiesel world, and saw it boom and bust. On the way there were many vendors of ill-repute who took advantage of a booming business to sell products/services that were either low quality, non existent or without sufficient customer support. One had to rely on the support of the online community to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Having it this way, ADI can profit from the distillers and the wolves. Doesn't quite seem fair.

Sorry if I'm overstepping here, but perhaps this forum has grown too big for only two active moderators to manage. Perhaps it's time to promote a few more so that stress is taken off of you and the forum is allowed to grow and to continue to benefit all it's members? Seems like it'd be a win-win situation for everyone.

I think when you read a review that gives exact details (good or bad) it is a plus. If it is a 3 word bad review then take it for what its worth. I have had a friend spend a lot of money with a BS company, that screwed him over, that I told him to post. This could save someone thousands of dollars AND time! Time is just as important since trying to buy anything from $200,000 still to a $100 used bourbon barrel can take a lifetime. If you delete these reviews you are making a big mistake.

My last comment on this issue is that the number one criteria for a review on a professional board should clearly be: the reviewer must disclose their name and the name of their company. Exactly like they are disclosing that of the alleged offender (or positive review) . It is far to easy to destroy personal and business reputations in an anonymous format, when there are no potential repercussions.

Guy, you never did answer if this was a moderator-level reminder to members (maybe of existing policy?), or if it came by way of ADI direction.

Either way, none of the pinned articles in 'Welcome', 'For Sale', 'Wanted to Buy' or 'Equipment' give notice of the policy. Those are the places I looked for Forum usage rules. Perhaps at least the one in 'Welcome' could be updated?

Charles, Both. I have noticed a considerable number of one sided critical posts on vendors and even on individuals that I have removed. Interestingly no one seems to miss them except the posters. I have also been contacted by ADI who has received several complaints. This is also a potential liability problem for ADI and myself.

You are correct, the policies are not well documented. I will work to change that. Until recently common sense and politeness seemed to prevail. I do not want to see this become one of those review sites where anyone can rip on anyone with no accountability.

Oh, I think this thread shows that other people do miss them. Not usually enough to speak up.

The Forum's reputation management toolkit seems pretty weak.

It might be nice to have a transaction hosting/arbitration service for the industry. Especially for new entrants, both suppliers and buyers. Or new relationships - use it the first few times, then work direct. Common terms, plus whatever the parties agree to. Feedback and rebuttals posted visibly and tied to specific transactions - nothing vague and generalized. Low fee for the service. Wait... I'm describing eBay, aren't I?

This is a messed up decision. Very counterproductive to much of what this forum is about.

If no manufacturer reviews are going to be allowed, then you need to stop the marketing posts from the manufacturers. That would mean that the gents from ASD who provide a great amount of positive input to this forum would be barred which would be a negative. The good thing would be that it would stop Dehner from hijacking every discussion thread with a random post that has no relevance. Just thoughts to consider

this has not been a popular decision. as a paying member (and sponsor), I urge you to change your mind on this subject. ADI Convention is in a couple days, i will be speaking to Bill on this matter.

say your piece on this subject, ADI is here for the promotion of the craft, in my mind that means protecting the craft, Sorting the good from the bad had better be a priority of this organization, regardless of the workload. I count my own contributions to this organization, financially there is no good argument why appropriate moderation cannot be applied to this issue.

this has not been a popular decision. as a paying member (and sponsor), I urge you to change your mind on this subject. ADI Convention is in a couple days, i will be speaking to Bill on this matter.

say your piece on this subject, ADI is here for the promotion of the craft, in my mind that means protecting the craft, Sorting the good from the bad had better be a priority of this organization, regardless of the workload. I count my own contributions to this organization, financially there is no good argument why appropriate moderation cannot be applied to this issue.

Actually you haven't paid one cent for the forums. The fact is I have paid for 95+% of the cost since I started them 5+ years ago. In addition I have been the sole administrator for years. I have kept a huge amount of spammers off these forums and volunteered a tremendous amount of time. What have you done? You have had free use of them to plug your products constantly. You have asked me to delete comments from other members who produce stills and ban people who ask you questions with no proof of their ulterior motive offered other than your word. I have nothing against you Steve, but if I were to write a review I'd say as a potential customer of yours you're not a very grateful person and you don't have all the facts nor a clear understanding of the situation, just a selfish point of view.

What is the relationship between ADI and ADIforums.com? I thought this was part of ADI. I would be willing to contribute. Sharing our experiences with each other is vital.

The responsible parties are accountable to each other. Equipment and vendor reviews are an important part of the forum. I want to know the good and bad, and make my own decision.

Post the financial needs,add a PayPal link and don,t carry all the burden.

Guy....not sure if you're hearing us but in the course of just a few short days, you got three pages of your CUSTOMERS' and COMMUNITYs' comments about their collective displeasure in your stance on this simple matter. Are you not listening or is it that you don't care??? Be careful what you create for it can also learn to have a unified voice and go elsewhere. A thought...think of all the successful and respected web communities and you'll see that they all share one thing,,,,a vehicle for their respective communities to review and share their experiences...good and bad......Amazon, eBay, Pandora, etc etc. I spent two years here on the ADI sight before receiving my DSP and opening my doors and give you mega credit for giving me the only tool at the time to weed through the shifty and fly by night suppliers and carpet baggers who are trying to cash in on the awesome wave of appreciation for craft spirits. The health of ADI as well as the industry as a whole will depend on those wishing to follow in our footsteps and open their own distilleries. As such, you should provide them as much insight and help as possible.

Actually you haven't paid one cent for the forums. The fact is I have paid for 95+% of the cost since I started them 5+ years ago. In addition I have been the sole administrator for years. I have kept a huge amount of spammers off these forums and volunteered a tremendous amount of time. What have you done? You have had free use of them to plug your products constantly. You have asked me to delete comments from other members who produce stills and ban people who ask you questions with no proof of their ulterior motive offered other than your word. I have nothing against you Steve, but if I were to write a review I'd say as a potential customer of yours you're not a very grateful person and you don't have all the facts nor a clear understanding of the situation, just a selfish point of view.

it is clear that there is a disconnect between ADI the organization and the ADI forums. I do apologize for not being aware of this. I do pay Dues, Sponsorship and advertising with ADI, I had been under the impression that some of this would make its way to run the forums, Which in my mind, are the real center of ADI.
its clear I have rubbed you the wrong way, which again I apologize for, we have never interacted, so is difficult for me to know what in particular you found offensive.
This is not the place for such an argument but I do believe your comments about me are inaccurate and out of context. I appreciate your situation, no doubt you are angry and frustrated by all this. but you're falling into the same trap that you're trying to stop others from falling into.

Honestly this whole thing has become terribly disappointing and is on the verge of getting nasty/flaming out. Guy Im sorry if you feel ganged up on or unappreciated for what you do in running the forum. We all understand you're a busy person with a distillery to run, and Im sure tons of other stuff to do. We all have things on our plate as well. There have been several proposals and ideas brought up as to how to remedy this situation. Whenever you have time could you please address them? It's pretty evident that a lot of us are unclear on the formal rules and structure of the forum and we appreciate you filling us in but if you could address some of the proposed work arounds it would be most helpful and appreciated by all of us. That way we'll know if there's any agreeable solution for all parties involved and we can all make our own decisions about our involvement from there. Just a thought.

I find this forum very good for finding some more recent supplier information among probrewer and others. Without this information I would be very leary of working with someone who did not have a good review. I would be more inclined to look further into them if I was not sure, but if they have a bad review I would not run away from them, it would highly depend on what my person gut feeling is on them, my research tells me and the challenge to get information.

The challenge to get information is why I come here. I have a small library of no less than 30 books which I have read most of them, some are text books, etc. The internet takes me out of my house, what my resources are, my ability to do local wine making referals to equipment. If I had a bad experience, I would want to post it, have it scrutinized. My behavior and unwillingness to take criticism is the point where I imagine action should be taken and maybe intervening would be required.

We all go to the internet to soften our discomforts and try and learn more than one person is capable, as a group.

I live in wine country, some live in ethanol plant areas, but what about people without resources or references for referals. Where do they go? Where can they praise? Is it only the intent of bashing, taking it too far, which is not welcomed here?

Wow. I have to echo all the concerns. Sooooo disappointed in this decision..

The title to this forum says "supplier reviews not welcome" shouldn't it be "negative reviews not welcome" ?? I don't think a positive review has ever been deleted. By banning any negative comment it makes the positive ones meaningless and hold little to no value.

My wife owns a business, and you know what made her better? Her first negative review! Just one is all it took for her to make some changes and refocus efforts, and her business is better for it!

The first thing I do before buying something on Amazon, Ebay, etc. is read the negative reviews. 1 or 2 doesn't generally matter, but 5 that all say the same thing point to a problem and that helps steer me in the right direction I need to make an INFORMED decision.

If a supplier is complaining about a negative review- it points to a problem with the supplier and that needs attention, not the review. This is a forum- it seems to me that both parties have an opportunity to post. You notice that there are suppliers here that welcome reviews, good or bad? That's a normal and honest business.

This forum is great- please don't take that away!!