Winery and Distillery

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has a winery and distillery setup. I know that the TTB states that you can't have them on the same "location" but what does that mean. Can it just exist in a separate building on the property? or is there more to it than that.

§ 19.52 Restrictions on location of plants.

A person who intends to establish a distilled spirits plant may not locate it in any of the following places:
(a) In any residence, shed, yard, or enclosure connected to a residence;
(B) On any vessel or boat;
© Where beer or wine is produced;
(d) Where liquors are sold at retail; or

(e) Where any other business is conducted except as provided in § 19.54.

If there is a regulation against a winery and distillery being in the same location, it seems to be routinely ignored and not enforced.

I can think of several operations that do both on the same property.

Here is Idaho we have Koenig Winery and Distillery.

They do a great job and run a really high quality operation. They have been around for many years doing both.

http://www.koenigdistilleryandwinery.com/

You can't conduct distilling operations in the area of a bonded wine premises - and versa vice. And you can't mingle the products in production or storage. But those bonded areas may be 'adjacent'. Even under the same roof. And there may be shared area set up to 'alternate' between the two bonds/premises.

I've heard stories of individual agents requiring differing degrees of segregation - but our reviewer was okay with marking the different regions with wall marking and floor paint colors/stripes.

We are located adjacent to a brewery (separate legal entity) and had to obtain a special exception ruling from the state LCB in order to get our approvals. Basically it means a physical barrier between both entities as well as separate entrances. It took approx. 8 months and some intervention from our local state Rep. and we finally got it approved. The DSP or "Plant" cannot be co-located with a retail component but that's not to say that you can't have a separated tasting room located nearby.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has a winery and distillery setup. I know that the TTB states that you can't have them on the same "location" but what does that mean. Can it just exist in a separate building on the property? or is there more to it than that.

§ 19.52 Restrictions on location of plants.

A person who intends to establish a distilled spirits plant may not locate it in any of the following places:
(a) In any residence, shed, yard, or enclosure connected to a residence;
( B) On any vessel or boat;
© Where beer or wine is produced;
(d) Where liquors are sold at retail; or

(e) Where any other business is conducted except as provided in § 19.54.

compare with Ballast Point's solution in California - great brewery, claiming to be larger in production than Sam Adams, and the distillery is chain link fenced off from the brewing operation - separate interior entrance, and controlled/locked door. But still the same building. Best of luck