Bottling Volunteer liabilities issues

MaskCraft

Our accountant just posed the following question to us: If a volunteer slips on your distillery floor and hurts him/herself, are you liable legally? We honestly never thought of that (we are not yet open). Do volunteers sign some sort of waiver?

MaskCraft,

Techinically you can be held liable for anyone that becomes injured on your property no matter if they are employee, visitor or "volunteered" labor. The type of insurance coverage that would respond is the real issue. Obvioulsy if it is a worker, then workmans compensation insurance would apply, but if it is a visitor or donated labor then your General Liability (or possibly medical payments if the claim were small enough) would apply. There are various work-arounds for these types of issues, waivers and releases being one, as well as a few other items I would be glad to discuss. Feel free to give me a call on my cell phone at 307-752-5961 and we can have a more detailed and specific discussion based on your immediate needs.

We use waivers, run it by your insurance agent (we did). But just because you have a waiver, doesn't mean you are completely protected, for example, if the person could prove negligence. But in that case, you might not be covered by your insurance, either.