Transfer Pump (small) 4 GPM

Big Poppa

Its quiet compared to most compressors, but if you have it indoors its still fairly loud. We run it maybe 4 Or 5 hours a week so it's tolerable, but if I had more pneumatic equipment and needed to run it continuously I'd put the compressor outside.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, prcdc said:

Anyone know if you can mount this pump upside down or sideways? Or should it be mounted hoses pointed down? 

Flojet says their G-Series pump must be oriented with the ports facing down. My guess is that this helps with keeping the ports drained fully at all times.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From a materials handling standpoint, a stainless lobe pump would cover all of that, something like a 1.5" could easily be used for double duty.  

Explosion proof electrics make it very complicated though.

The juniper berry stillage could be tricky for a diaphragm pump, because they will have a maximum solids size that needs to be accounted for, and 1/4" solids handling might be a bigger pump than you need.  All it's going to take is one plump berry and your day is ruined.

If you're doing everything with one pump, you're going to have to break everything down and clean it every time you move anything. You also will have to do one thing at a time. Ex. No filling barrels while you CIP a fermenter. It's worth having at least 2 pumps just for logistics. 

8 minutes ago, adamOVD said:

If you're doing everything with one pump, you're going to have to break everything down and clean it every time you move anything. You also will have to do one thing at a time. Ex. No filling barrels while you CIP a fermenter. It's worth having at least 2 pumps just for logistics. 

I can't help but say that @needmorstuffneedmorpump.  You can never have too many pumps.

@adamOVDis right that any pump that is moving solids will probably need to be broken down to completely clean it.  CIP only goes so far and the bigger and more capable the pump, the more crevices there are that particles will get stuck in.  I will say that a CIP is likely to remove everything that pumping spirits would, but I guess it depends on how much you care and time you want to put into it.

You're best off with some sort of air driven diaphragm pump for spirits and a positive displacement pump (lobe pump being one type) for solids.

You may find that you still have to make choices and sacrifices when it comes to deciding on the solids-handling pump. If you are able to move solids at lower temps—say, > 180 °F max—this opens up some options. More affordable pumps like a flexible impeller pump use elastomers in the head that will quickly degrade at high temperatures. And when I say quickly, I mean they will degrade in minutes if the material is too hot. Temperatures that approach 180 °F can be fine, but you will get shorter impeller life.

As others have noted, a lobe pump is a great choice if your budget allows for it. Lobe pumps can move solids at temperatures way past boiling. Their high price tag can be off-putting at first, though many distilleries come to terms with the price eventually once they realize how much simpler a bomb-proof pump can make things. Lately we've been selling a lot of Ampco's ZP1 lobe pumps for solids/mash transfer.

I wrote this article about mash pumps for breweries, but many of the same principles apply here when it comes to selecting a solids-handling pump.

If you're looking for an AODD pump, we offer the SimpleSpirits series pumps for distilleries. Let me know if you need any help selecting a pump.