How many plates

Brad

I'm trying to determine how many plates/bubble trays are required for distilling raw materials into neutral grain spirits.

Aside from relying on what the still manufacturers explained themselves, has anyone explored how to determine the expected output ABV% based on the number of plates and number of distillation runs? I'd like a way to verify what I'm hearing.

Thanks,

Brad

I don't have the answer but I did have some interesting conversations on this.

When we started, we got quotes from a couple of manufacturers, Carl and two more. Carl told us that we would get 95% ABV after the 2nd rectification and I've seen proof. One of the others said "You will get 94-95% ABV" that wasn't comforting to me and I found it odd.

I do know that Carl has redesigned the column so that less plates can be used. The one we are getting is 19 plates, I believe previous ones have 21.

I don't know if you can find the answer you are looking for without greater knowledge of each system and it's design features. Then again, I could be an idiot.

Dear Brad,

Every still manufacturer has a unique plate design. Aside from that the dephlegmator plays a huge role in your distillation process.

We have a Vodka still in Sweden that produces Vodka with 16 plates.

Please give me a call when you get a chance so we can chat.

All the best,

Robert

Kothe Distilling Technologies.

Award winning handcrafted German engineered potstills for the production of high quality fruit and grain spirits, as well as bioethanol. “Kothe Destillationstechnik” uses patented technology to specially engineer each still with solid quality and energy saving compounds to meet the particular needs of each distiller. Kothe Distilling Technologies is the sole representative of “Kothe Destillationstechnik” in North America, Canada, and Mexico.

--------------------------------------------------------

Kothe Distilling Technologies Inc.

5121 N. Ravenswood Ave

Chicago, IL 60640

http://www.kothe-distilling.com

info@kothe-distilling.com

(773) 295 4454