Starting out in Pennsylvania

Mott Hill

My wife and I are currently exploring the idea of opening a small distillery in northeastern Pennsylvania, possibly coupled with a cidery. We'd like to procure raw materials locally or regionally whenever possible. There are several large, well established fruit farms in the area, as well as a handful of maple syrup producers and 2 apiaries. There are several wineries and 4 breweries close by.

I'd like to think that we could produce cider and spirits from products that these local businesses produce. Cider and apple brandy, along with eaux-de-vie, from a local fruit farm. Brandy from the wineries, of course. I haven't done the research yet to find out the best way to utilize honey or maple syrup but if all else fails they could be used to flavor a base spirit. The brewery owners have been open to the idea of making a malt whiskey from their unhopped wort, too.

As a buyer it would pique my curiosity to see a spirit made from a beer that I liked. Or brandy from a cider that I liked. It would also mean that we could cooperate on marketing to some degree. Thoughts on this? Am I being optimistic?

I'm not sure which direction to go first. We can't do everything at once so it will get narrowed to reflect our means and what will sell. I suspect we should get a white whiskey out there. The local liquor store has more shelf space dedicated to moonshine than anything else save vodka. I'd also be open to contracting with others to produce their recipes because at the end of the day it needs to be a viable business, not just a vanity project (tempting as that is).

I'm reading up and trying to figure out the business plan. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Mott Hill

I can't speak for Pennsylvania, but if you were to ask the same question in Virginia. Think very long and very hard before making a decision. Had I known then what I know now, there is no freaking way I would do this again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Mott, I am a consultant for craft distilleries and breweries around the country. If you are heading down the route of hiring a consultant to streamline your process, please keep me in mind.

You can check out my website @ 1adistilling.com

Good luck distilling.

• 1 year later...

Let me know when you need bottles. We have a warehouse in Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania, so your glass could be tax exempt and the shipping costs low or you can pick up! No minimums!

Carol Phillips

All American Containers

336-906-9097 mobile

• Thumbs up 1

Hey Mott-

We're just starting up...and with a fresh perspective I can say you've asked a bunch of questions only you guys can answer. Simply going down the path and preparing to risk the capital can really help you focus on what you want to do. You'll hear a whole spectrum of advice - start small, start big, only do this or do that! Write a business plan on your top spirit that YOU want to make, and let it go from there. It will help you see what it really costs and how much time it will take before you see a return.

If I were in a nice agricultural area, I'd see if I could find a good location with lots of tourist traffic. Check zoning, building codes, fire regulations, local acceptance among stakeholders, etc first. If you can endure that set of special headaches and still want to do it....that's a good test. Visit every distillery you can in a multi state area and talk to them about how they did it.

Good luck!

• Thumbs up 1